LeSean McCoy joins Tampa Bay’s backfield
If the Tampa Bay Buccaneers looked like they were done making splash moves this off-season, Thursday evening proved that general manager Jason Licht is continuing to look for ways to upgrade on offense.
In a surprising move, the Buccaneers signed free agent running back LeSean McCoy to a 1-year deal per ESPN’s Adam Schefter. McCoy joins an already loaded backfield with third-year pro Ronald Jones along with rookie tailback Ke’Shawn Vaughn. McCoy gives Tampa Bay another pass catching option out of the backfield for Tom Brady.
Brady, who signed with Tampa Bay over the off-season as a free agent, has always been know for checking down to his running backs out of the backfield, with players like Dion Lewis and James White becoming household names. Now the expectations rise in the backfield as McCoy will battle for time against Jones and Vaughn, who is currently on the reserve list due to the novel coronavirus.
Brady has ran practices with skill players at Berkeley Prep School in Tampa during the off-season and wanted to develop timing with some of Tampa Bay’s receivers, including Mike Evans and Cameron Brate. Now comes the next big step for Brady and the Buccaneers and that’s bringing all 80 players together into camp and that remains the biggest challenge to date with every NFL club. Figuring how to social distance and run practices with one of the most contact sports around.
The current off-season has been like no other for all of professional sports and especially for the Buccaneers, who made some blockbuster type moves ahead of the 2020 season. Tampa Bay signed 6-time Super Bowl champion quarterback Tom Brady and decided to move on from 5-year starter Jameis Winston, was ho has since signed with the New Orleans Saints.
The Buccaneers also added one of Brady’s most trusted pass catchers in tight end Rob Gronkowski, who steps into a crowded position that already features Brate and OJ Howard. Now with the addition of LeSean McCoy into the equation, Tampa Bay’s offense becomes that much more dangerous.
- MNF Game Preview: Buccaneers at Giants October 30, 2020
- Rays lose a heartbreaker, World Series hopes slip away in Game 6 October 28, 2020
- Brady lights up the Raiders in a blow-out 45-20 win in Las Vegas. October 25, 2020
- Rays win an absolute thriller, tie series at two October 25, 2020
- Game Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Las Vegas Raiders October 25, 2020
- UFC 254: Khabib vs. Gaethje October 24, 2020
- Morton struggles as Rays drop Game 3 to Dodgers October 24, 2020
- Did Tampa Bay make the right choice by signing Antonio Brown? October 23, 2020
- Slump buster; Lowe breaks out and leads Rays to Game 2 victory October 22, 2020
- Rays go down swinging, lose game 1 of the World Series October 21, 2020