LeSean McCoy joins Tampa Bay’s backfield
If the Tampa Bay Buccaneers looked like they were done making splash moves this off-season, Thursday evening proved that general manager Jason Licht is continuing to look for ways to upgrade on offense.
In a surprising move, the Buccaneers signed free agent running back LeSean McCoy to a 1-year deal per ESPN’s Adam Schefter. McCoy joins an already loaded backfield with third-year pro Ronald Jones along with rookie tailback Ke’Shawn Vaughn. McCoy gives Tampa Bay another pass catching option out of the backfield for Tom Brady.
Brady, who signed with Tampa Bay over the off-season as a free agent, has always been know for checking down to his running backs out of the backfield, with players like Dion Lewis and James White becoming household names. Now the expectations rise in the backfield as McCoy will battle for time against Jones and Vaughn, who is currently on the reserve list due to the novel coronavirus.
Brady has ran practices with skill players at Berkeley Prep School in Tampa during the off-season and wanted to develop timing with some of Tampa Bay’s receivers, including Mike Evans and Cameron Brate. Now comes the next big step for Brady and the Buccaneers and that’s bringing all 80 players together into camp and that remains the biggest challenge to date with every NFL club. Figuring how to social distance and run practices with one of the most contact sports around.
The current off-season has been like no other for all of professional sports and especially for the Buccaneers, who made some blockbuster type moves ahead of the 2020 season. Tampa Bay signed 6-time Super Bowl champion quarterback Tom Brady and decided to move on from 5-year starter Jameis Winston, was ho has since signed with the New Orleans Saints.
The Buccaneers also added one of Brady’s most trusted pass catchers in tight end Rob Gronkowski, who steps into a crowded position that already features Brate and OJ Howard. Now with the addition of LeSean McCoy into the equation, Tampa Bay’s offense becomes that much more dangerous.
- Tyler Johnson comes up clutch again as Bolts down B’s. August 5, 2020
- Rays’ struggles magnified by sweep at the hands of Baltimore August 4, 2020
- In a mixed bag, Lightning pull away in the shootout. August 3, 2020
- Behind the barricades: Rusev Day is done new Raw champion August 1, 2020
- LeSean McCoy joins Tampa Bay’s backfield July 31, 2020
- 139 Days later, The Lightning are BACK July 29, 2020
- Behind the Barricade: Extreme Rules was a “Horror Show”, Major NXT Announcement, Slow Burning Stories July 25, 2020
- No NFL preseason games in 2020 July 22, 2020
- Sister Abigail is teased in trippy main event at Extreme Rules July 20, 2020
- Behind The Barricade: WWE Superstar out indefinitely, another comes out July 19, 2020