Follow Ryan on Twitter
After their Saturday game against the Orioles was rained out in Port Charlotte, Kevin Cash announced the Tampa Bay Rays second round of cuts this spring. Among them were INF Nick Franklin and C Luke Maile who were sent down to the minors.
Cash was very pleased with both players performances in the field as well as at the plate in March but said it was very important for them to get consistent at bats.
Franklin, who was brought over in the David Price trade back in 2014, played in 13 games this spring and had some impressive offensive numbers. He hit .375/.444/.500 with an OPS of .944. Despite his demotion, Franklin will be heading to Cuba with the club on Sunday.
Maile, signed by the Rays back in June of 2012, struggled at the plate. The 25-year old hit .167/.219/.233 in 11 games.
Others who were cut Saturday included pitchers Ryan Garton, Parker Markel, Neil Wagner, and Jonny Venters as well as first baseman Kyle Roller.
- Eight More Years of Hagel August 22, 2023
- 2021-23 NHL Draft Analyses August 20, 2023
- 2018-2020 NHL Draft Analyses August 14, 2023
- 2013-17 NHL Draft Analyses July 23, 2023
- 2007-12 NHL Draft Analyses July 17, 2023
- 2023 3v3 Prospect Tournament Recap July 13, 2023
- The Best Leader in the NHL July 2, 2023
- Depth deals kick off the first day of free agency for the Lightning July 1, 2023
- 2023 Draft Recap and More Tales June 29, 2023
- A Winning Organization (on and off the ice) May 6, 2023