Follow Ryan on Twitter
After their Saturday game against the Orioles was rained out in Port Charlotte, Kevin Cash announced the Tampa Bay Rays second round of cuts this spring. Among them were INF Nick Franklin and C Luke Maile who were sent down to the minors.
Cash was very pleased with both players performances in the field as well as at the plate in March but said it was very important for them to get consistent at bats.
Franklin, who was brought over in the David Price trade back in 2014, played in 13 games this spring and had some impressive offensive numbers. He hit .375/.444/.500 with an OPS of .944. Despite his demotion, Franklin will be heading to Cuba with the club on Sunday.
Maile, signed by the Rays back in June of 2012, struggled at the plate. The 25-year old hit .167/.219/.233 in 11 games.
Others who were cut Saturday included pitchers Ryan Garton, Parker Markel, Neil Wagner, and Jonny Venters as well as first baseman Kyle Roller.
- Magic Number Down to 2 with Bolts Win March 30, 2023
- Losing streak ends, top line flourishes in a commanding victory March 28, 2023
- Bruins Clinch Atlantic as Lightning Woes Continue March 25, 2023
- Dashing plays by Ottawa hands Lightning an embarrassing loss March 23, 2023
- Puck luck not on Bolts side, road trip begins with a loss in Montreal. March 21, 2023
- Third Time’s Not a Charm for Lightning in Loss to Devils March 19, 2023
- After Hall of Fame Weekend, Bolts down St Louis and Montreal March 18, 2023
- Deuces Wild in Lightning Win Over Devils March 16, 2023
- Devil of a Time for New Jersey against the Lightning March 14, 2023
- Jets Stop Bolts in Homestand Finale March 12, 2023