Follow Ryan on Twitter
After their Saturday game against the Orioles was rained out in Port Charlotte, Kevin Cash announced the Tampa Bay Rays second round of cuts this spring. Among them were INF Nick Franklin and C Luke Maile who were sent down to the minors.
Cash was very pleased with both players performances in the field as well as at the plate in March but said it was very important for them to get consistent at bats.
Franklin, who was brought over in the David Price trade back in 2014, played in 13 games this spring and had some impressive offensive numbers. He hit .375/.444/.500 with an OPS of .944. Despite his demotion, Franklin will be heading to Cuba with the club on Sunday.
Maile, signed by the Rays back in June of 2012, struggled at the plate. The 25-year old hit .167/.219/.233 in 11 games.
Others who were cut Saturday included pitchers Ryan Garton, Parker Markel, Neil Wagner, and Jonny Venters as well as first baseman Kyle Roller.
- Stalwart Defenseman Traded by Lightning July 3, 2022
- Time To Celebrate Our Tampa Bay Lightning June 29, 2022
- Despite the fight, Colorado takes Game 6 and Stanley Cup June 26, 2022
- Resilient Lightning Survive Denver and Force Game Six in Tampa June 25, 2022
- Vasilevskiy’s OT effort not enough as Avs take 3-1 series lead over Bolts June 23, 2022
- Lightning Take Major Step with 6-2 Win June 21, 2022
- Avalanche smother Lightning in Game 2 June 18, 2022
- Hard hitting Avalanche take down Lightning in overtime to win Game 1 June 15, 2022
- Stanley Cup Final Preview and Prediction June 15, 2022
- Third consecutive trip to the Final awaits as Lightning finish off Rangers June 11, 2022