Adam Schefter reported late Wednesday that the San Diego Chargers are set to move to Los Angeles. The franchise is leaving the San Diego area without delivering a championship through 55 years, although they did have an pre-merger, AFL championship.
A stunner: Chargers plan to announce as early as Thursday they are moving to LA, ending 55-year stint with SD, league sources tell ESPN.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 12, 2017
The team had until Jan. 17th to decide whether to relocate or not, but are set to announce the news publicly as early as Thursday.
Philip Rivers has made it clear he would not be for a move to LA.
Philip Rivers on his past comments about potential relocation to LA:
"It's not a disdain for LA… it's more of a love for San Diego."
— XTRA 1360 (@XTRA1360) January 2, 2017
The franchise QB is signed until 2019 and has been about some trade talks throughout the many rumors. Although it’s not likely, some teams in need for a man under center may be ringing the Chargers phone.
This will be the second NFL team in two years to move to “the City of Angels”, following the move of the St. Louis Rams in January of 2016.
The Rams played their 2016 home games in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, but broke ground on a new stadium in Inglewood, California back in November.
While there’s no word of where the Chargers will play their home games, a possible location would be the StubHub Center, home to the future MLS team, Los Angeles FC, and is located roughly 10 miles south of downtown Los Angeles.
- Time To Celebrate Our Tampa Bay Lightning June 29, 2022
- Despite the fight, Colorado takes Game 6 and Stanley Cup June 26, 2022
- Resilient Lightning Survive Denver and Force Game Six in Tampa June 25, 2022
- Vasilevskiy’s OT effort not enough as Avs take 3-1 series lead over Bolts June 23, 2022
- Lightning Take Major Step with 6-2 Win June 21, 2022
- Avalanche smother Lightning in Game 2 June 18, 2022
- Hard hitting Avalanche take down Lightning in overtime to win Game 1 June 15, 2022
- Stanley Cup Final Preview and Prediction June 15, 2022
- Third consecutive trip to the Final awaits as Lightning finish off Rangers June 11, 2022
- Sergachev, Palat combine for late goal to give Lightning 3-2 series lead June 9, 2022