By Ricky Chek
Follow Ricky Chek on Twitter
The MLB regular season might be over, the Kansas City Royals may have been crowned as World Series champions, but the regular season awards have yet to be handed out… until now. Major League Baseball handed out their AL and NL Gold Gloves Tuesday night with a slew of first-timers taking home a Rawlings.
In the American League, the reigning champion Kansas City Royals led the way with the most (3) winners in first baseman Eric Hosmer, catcher Salvador Perez and, shortstop Alcides Escobar. Perez and Hosmer each took home their third straight Gold Glove while Escobar acquires his first one. Second Baseman Jose Altuve and pitcher Dallas Keuchel each bring Gold Glove awards back to Houston. The strangest twist had to be when Yoenis Cespedes won the award as a Detroit Tiger despite being traded to the New York Mets at the halfway point of the season. The most exciting moment of the night locally came when center fielder Kevin Kiermaier nabbed his first Gold Glove award for the hometown Rays. Right fielder Kole Calhoun and third baseman Adrian Beltre round out the American League winners.
The focal moment in the National League came when catcher Yadier Molina won his eighth such award, passing Bob Boone for third all-time Gold Glove awards. A pair of Diamondbacks saw recognition as first baseman Paul Goldschmidt and center fielder A.J. Pollock were awarded with the Gold Glove. Brandon Crawford snatched the prize for the shortstop position, putting a halt to Andrelton Simmons’ bid for his third straight. Pitcher Zach Grienke, second baseman Dee Gordon and third baseman Nolan Arenado polish off the infield. The corner outfield awards were handed out NL Central teams in the Pirates’ Sterling Marte and the Cardinals’ Jason Heyward.
- Stalwart Defenseman Traded by Lightning July 3, 2022
- Time To Celebrate Our Tampa Bay Lightning June 29, 2022
- Despite the fight, Colorado takes Game 6 and Stanley Cup June 26, 2022
- Resilient Lightning Survive Denver and Force Game Six in Tampa June 25, 2022
- Vasilevskiy’s OT effort not enough as Avs take 3-1 series lead over Bolts June 23, 2022
- Lightning Take Major Step with 6-2 Win June 21, 2022
- Avalanche smother Lightning in Game 2 June 18, 2022
- Hard hitting Avalanche take down Lightning in overtime to win Game 1 June 15, 2022
- Stanley Cup Final Preview and Prediction June 15, 2022
- Third consecutive trip to the Final awaits as Lightning finish off Rangers June 11, 2022