By Ricky Chek
Follow Ricky Chek on Twitter
The MLB regular season might be over, the Kansas City Royals may have been crowned as World Series champions, but the regular season awards have yet to be handed out… until now. Major League Baseball handed out their AL and NL Gold Gloves Tuesday night with a slew of first-timers taking home a Rawlings.
In the American League, the reigning champion Kansas City Royals led the way with the most (3) winners in first baseman Eric Hosmer, catcher Salvador Perez and, shortstop Alcides Escobar. Perez and Hosmer each took home their third straight Gold Glove while Escobar acquires his first one. Second Baseman Jose Altuve and pitcher Dallas Keuchel each bring Gold Glove awards back to Houston. The strangest twist had to be when Yoenis Cespedes won the award as a Detroit Tiger despite being traded to the New York Mets at the halfway point of the season. The most exciting moment of the night locally came when center fielder Kevin Kiermaier nabbed his first Gold Glove award for the hometown Rays. Right fielder Kole Calhoun and third baseman Adrian Beltre round out the American League winners.
The focal moment in the National League came when catcher Yadier Molina won his eighth such award, passing Bob Boone for third all-time Gold Glove awards. A pair of Diamondbacks saw recognition as first baseman Paul Goldschmidt and center fielder A.J. Pollock were awarded with the Gold Glove. Brandon Crawford snatched the prize for the shortstop position, putting a halt to Andrelton Simmons’ bid for his third straight. Pitcher Zach Grienke, second baseman Dee Gordon and third baseman Nolan Arenado polish off the infield. The corner outfield awards were handed out NL Central teams in the Pirates’ Sterling Marte and the Cardinals’ Jason Heyward.
- Devin White comes up huge, Bucs move on January 17, 2021
- NFL Playoffs Divisional Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans January 16, 2021
- Offense overwhelms Chicago as Bolts sweep opening series January 15, 2021
- A Divisional round preview of Brady, Brees and Bucs vs Saints January 15, 2021
- Led by Steven Stamkos, Lightning cruise past Chicago 5-1 January 14, 2021
- The Goat leads Bucs as they Squeak by Washington January 10, 2021
- Tampa Bay takes on Washington in Wild-Card round January 8, 2021
- Tampa Bay hangs on against Atlanta to secure first wild card spot. January 3, 2021
- Tampa Bay takes on Atlanta in pivotal home finale January 3, 2021
- End of an era: Snell traded to San Diego December 28, 2020