One of Tom Brady’s favorite targets from his time in New England will be joining him in Tampa Bay. Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, The Buccaneers have traded a 4th round draft pick to the New England Patriots in exchange for tight end Rob Gronkowski and a 7th round pick. The deal is pending a physical.
Trade, pending physical: Patriots are trading TE Rob Gronkowski and a seventh-round pick to the Buccaneers for a fourth-round pick, source tells ESPN.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 21, 2020
Gronkowski retired prior to the 2019 season after playing in New England for 9 years, winning 3 Super Bowls. He had 1 year and $10 million left on his contract. Earlier on Tuesday, Schefter reported that the Bucs and Patriots were in talks and that Gronk had an interest in returning to the league, but only to join Brady in Tampa Bay. With Cameron Brate’s consistent play and the arrival of Gronkowski, it is unclear how 4th year tight end O.J. Howard will fit into the offense.
Reliable, familiar target for Brady
Over his 9 seasons in New England, Gronkowski has amassed some eye popping statistics. 521 receptions, 7,861 yards and 79 total touchdowns. He has also averaged 15.1 yards per reception throughout his career, providing an immediate downfield threat for the Tampa Bay offense.
While the league waits on the ever changing situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, one thing is obvious. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are sparing nothing to build a winner. The additions of Brady, Gronkowski, and key resignings on both sides of the ball show this team wants to make an immediate run. Rob Gronkowski might have been the missing piece the team didn’t know they needed.
The chemistry that Gronkowski and Brady developed in New England, if replicated in Tampa, could make the Buccaneers immediate Super Bowl contenders.
- Rays win an absolute thriller, tie series at two October 25, 2020
- Game Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Las Vegas Raiders October 25, 2020
- UFC 254: Khabib vs. Gaethje October 24, 2020
- Morton struggles as Rays drop Game 3 to Dodgers October 24, 2020
- Did Tampa Bay make the right choice by signing Antonio Brown? October 23, 2020
- Slump buster; Lowe breaks out and leads Rays to Game 2 victory October 22, 2020
- Rays go down swinging, lose game 1 of the World Series October 21, 2020
- Defense leads the way in Bucs win over Packers October 18, 2020
- Rays win exciting Game 7, advance to World Series October 18, 2020
- Rays squeeze out another victory, take 2-0 ALCS lead October 12, 2020