One of Tom Brady’s favorite targets from his time in New England will be joining him in Tampa Bay. Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, The Buccaneers have traded a 4th round draft pick to the New England Patriots in exchange for tight end Rob Gronkowski and a 7th round pick. The deal is pending a physical.
Trade, pending physical: Patriots are trading TE Rob Gronkowski and a seventh-round pick to the Buccaneers for a fourth-round pick, source tells ESPN.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 21, 2020
Gronkowski retired prior to the 2019 season after playing in New England for 9 years, winning 3 Super Bowls. He had 1 year and $10 million left on his contract. Earlier on Tuesday, Schefter reported that the Bucs and Patriots were in talks and that Gronk had an interest in returning to the league, but only to join Brady in Tampa Bay. With Cameron Brate’s consistent play and the arrival of Gronkowski, it is unclear how 4th year tight end O.J. Howard will fit into the offense.
Reliable, familiar target for Brady
Over his 9 seasons in New England, Gronkowski has amassed some eye popping statistics. 521 receptions, 7,861 yards and 79 total touchdowns. He has also averaged 15.1 yards per reception throughout his career, providing an immediate downfield threat for the Tampa Bay offense.
While the league waits on the ever changing situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, one thing is obvious. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are sparing nothing to build a winner. The additions of Brady, Gronkowski, and key resignings on both sides of the ball show this team wants to make an immediate run. Rob Gronkowski might have been the missing piece the team didn’t know they needed.
The chemistry that Gronkowski and Brady developed in New England, if replicated in Tampa, could make the Buccaneers immediate Super Bowl contenders.
- Killorn’s Gordie Howe hat trick helps Lightning top Hurricanes in overtime April 19, 2021
- Lightning Lose A Playoff Style Battle with Panthers April 17, 2021
- NHL Trade Deadline Review April 17, 2021
- Hedman’s heroics, Vasilevskiy help Bolts in victory over Panthers April 16, 2021
- Preds drub Bolts in brutal Music City defensive performance April 13, 2021
- Is Victor Hedman an All Time NHL Defenseman? April 11, 2021
- Andrei Vasilevskiy Shuts Down Predators April 10, 2021
- Lightning Trade for David Savard in Three Team Trade April 10, 2021
- First period onslaught helps Lightning end goal-scoring woes in victory April 8, 2021
- Frustrating Jackets Hand Lightning Another Loss to Start Road Trip April 6, 2021