We’re only two short weeks away from Draft Day, and I’m sure the Bucs are still trying to figure out what roster needs to fill. Let’s see if we can give them another hand this week. For the third choice for a potential Buccaneers pick we have….
#3 Caleb Benenoch, OT, UCLA
Tampa has a decent crew on the O-line, but the right side as a whole is a bit of an enigma. As it stands, the two leading candidates at right tackle are Demar Dotson and Gosder Cherilus. Both guys are over the age of 30, and both are currently under one-year contracts. That doesn’t bode too well into the future, especially if either the Bucs decide to let either of them walk. In essence, the offense needs to have a little more security.
Caleb Benenoch looks to be just the guy that could grow into the starting right tackle spot. With a 4.98 40 time, he has the quickness on his feet to beat an opponent at the snap. Benenoch also sports a lean physique for 305 lbs, kind of what clubs are looking for in NFL tackles. Oh, then there’s a slight mean streak to the way he plays, always looking to pancake anyone he’s blocking. Per CBS Sports, his motor is non-stop, always in the thick of the play until the whistle blows.
Even though Caleb is fit for his size, there’s rumors that he’s about 20 lbs lighter than his listed size (at 6’5”, I can see this being the case). Plus, he tends to catch rather than control defenders he’s blocking against. Despite this, Benenoch has experience playing both tackle and guard on the right side, and he has played in a similar offensive system in college. At the very least, he’s spent at least two seasons protecting a mobile quarterback (Brett Hundley), which would benefit Jameis Winston. With the potential to succeed any of the incumbent right tackles in the coming years, Tampa Bay should consider Benenoch, possibly in the mid to late rounds.
- Kucherov, Lightning Break Losing Steak with Impressive Performance February 24, 2024
- Jerseys Change but Poor Play Continues for Bolts February 22, 2024
- Surly Lightning Lose to Cellar Dwelling Senators February 19, 2024
- Horrible loss for Lightning to the Panthers February 17, 2024
- Kucherov Shines in Marquee Matchup February 15, 2024
- Rugged puck play nullified with a successful shootout result February 13, 2024
- Hagel, Vasilevskiy Help Bolts Find Momentum in Columbus February 10, 2024
- Island breeze unkind in humiliating defeat against the Islanders February 8, 2024
- Start Spreading the News, Lightning Win Streak Is Over February 7, 2024
- A Gasparilla Parade of Goals for Lightning against the Devils January 27, 2024