We’re only two short weeks away from Draft Day, and I’m sure the Bucs are still trying to figure out what roster needs to fill. Let’s see if we can give them another hand this week. For the third choice for a potential Buccaneers pick we have….
#3 Caleb Benenoch, OT, UCLA
Tampa has a decent crew on the O-line, but the right side as a whole is a bit of an enigma. As it stands, the two leading candidates at right tackle are Demar Dotson and Gosder Cherilus. Both guys are over the age of 30, and both are currently under one-year contracts. That doesn’t bode too well into the future, especially if either the Bucs decide to let either of them walk. In essence, the offense needs to have a little more security.
Caleb Benenoch looks to be just the guy that could grow into the starting right tackle spot. With a 4.98 40 time, he has the quickness on his feet to beat an opponent at the snap. Benenoch also sports a lean physique for 305 lbs, kind of what clubs are looking for in NFL tackles. Oh, then there’s a slight mean streak to the way he plays, always looking to pancake anyone he’s blocking. Per CBS Sports, his motor is non-stop, always in the thick of the play until the whistle blows.
Even though Caleb is fit for his size, there’s rumors that he’s about 20 lbs lighter than his listed size (at 6’5”, I can see this being the case). Plus, he tends to catch rather than control defenders he’s blocking against. Despite this, Benenoch has experience playing both tackle and guard on the right side, and he has played in a similar offensive system in college. At the very least, he’s spent at least two seasons protecting a mobile quarterback (Brett Hundley), which would benefit Jameis Winston. With the potential to succeed any of the incumbent right tackles in the coming years, Tampa Bay should consider Benenoch, possibly in the mid to late rounds.
- Time To Celebrate Our Tampa Bay Lightning June 29, 2022
- Despite the fight, Colorado takes Game 6 and Stanley Cup June 26, 2022
- Resilient Lightning Survive Denver and Force Game Six in Tampa June 25, 2022
- Vasilevskiy’s OT effort not enough as Avs take 3-1 series lead over Bolts June 23, 2022
- Lightning Take Major Step with 6-2 Win June 21, 2022
- Avalanche smother Lightning in Game 2 June 18, 2022
- Hard hitting Avalanche take down Lightning in overtime to win Game 1 June 15, 2022
- Stanley Cup Final Preview and Prediction June 15, 2022
- Third consecutive trip to the Final awaits as Lightning finish off Rangers June 11, 2022
- Sergachev, Palat combine for late goal to give Lightning 3-2 series lead June 9, 2022