Buccaneers defense stepping up at the right time
Sitting at 7-7 in 2019 with a couple of games left in the regular season and it looked as if everything would likely stand pat for the 2020 campaign. Jameis Winston looked to be well on his way to being the returning starter, but two bad starts against the Houston Texans and Atlanta Falcons ended his time, after the Buccaneers defense played very well down the stretch.
Figuring out who would be the starting quarterback to pair with a young, up and coming defense was the big decision the Glazer family and general manager Jason Licht had to make this past off-season. Winston’s turnovers heavily contributed to putting a lot of pressure on Tampa Bay’s defense on a week to week basis.
Enter Tom Brady, who left his home with the New England Patriots to join the Buccaneers after 20 years playing up north. One thing Brady has been known for is his decision making and not turning over the ball often. Winston’s 30 interceptions obviously didn’t do the Buccaneers any favors in 2019, but Brady dramatically cut down the turnovers in that department going down to just 12 picks thrown.
The strength of the Buccaneers’ defense is the play of their front seven unit, that has stymied opponents all season long. Tampa Bay ranks No. 1 against the run and the ability to adjust the next time against an opponent has also been on notice. In Tampa Bay’s 38-3 loss to New Orleans at home, the Buccaneers allowed 420 yards.
Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and his staff made the necessary adjustments to get the Buccaneers in the right position versus New Orleans in the NFC Divisional round and it paid off in a big way. Three interceptions thrown by legend Drew Brees, in which may be his last game as a Saint and just 316 yards allowed.
The likes of Devin White, Lavonte David, Vita Vea, Carlton Davis and crew will need to erase the memory of defeating this Green Bay Packers’ group in Week 6’s 38-10 victory as they are a much different team. Aaron Rodgers is playing at a high level, as he has thrown for 48 touchdowns during the regular season and he has continued that pace in the playoffs. It will be the Buccaneers defense toughest task, but they will need to be up for the final test before Super Bowl LV.
- McElhinney, Gourde propel Lightning past Hurricanes February 25, 2021
- Lightning Smack Down Upstart Hurricanes February 24, 2021
- Drought ends as Lightning outlast Canes in Raleigh February 23, 2021
- Lethargic Lightning shutout again by Hurricanes February 20, 2021
- Second period burst pushes Panthers past Bolts at Amalie February 15, 2021
- Tremendous effort and explosive second period propels Bolts past Florida February 13, 2021
- Point’s two goals not enough as Bolts’ winning streak halted in Sunrise February 11, 2021
- Bolts dominate Predators for 6th straight win February 9, 2021
- Nashville push not enough as Bolts top Preds in Music City February 8, 2021
- Make it two, as Tampa Bay wins Super Bowl LV February 7, 2021