At the beginning of 2016, Jameis Winston called upon William Gholston to be a leader on the defensive front. After taking advantage of his opportunities, he now has a home in Tampa Bay.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced Monday that they have resigned DE Will Gholston to a five-year extension worth $27.5 million.
Check out the 2016 @WILL_GHOLSTON2 highlight reel!
MUST WATCH >> https://t.co/uussPr8BXv pic.twitter.com/z0VthhqsIi
— Tampa Bay Buccaneers (@Buccaneers) March 6, 2017
The 25-year old run-stopper has racked up 188 tackles and 10.0 sacks over his four seasons in the NFL, including 49 tackles and 3.0 sacks last season.
Gholston signed his extension three days before free agency began and one day before other teams could begin to talk contracts with him. He was expected to be in high-demand due to his ability to stop the run at a high level.
For the Bucs, this move fills a big hole before it opened, as Gholston signed back to Tampa Bay at a very nice price in the Buccaneers favor. The Michigan State man is going to earn $27.5 million over the next five years but can reach up to $36.5 on incentives, depending on his play throughout his contract.
Tampa Bay began the offseason with the third most cap space in all of the NFL and opened up free agency with a big splash.
- Losing streak ends, top line flourishes in a commanding victory March 28, 2023
- Bruins Clinch Atlantic as Lightning Woes Continue March 25, 2023
- Dashing plays by Ottawa hands Lightning an embarrassing loss March 23, 2023
- Puck luck not on Bolts side, road trip begins with a loss in Montreal. March 21, 2023
- Third Time’s Not a Charm for Lightning in Loss to Devils March 19, 2023
- After Hall of Fame Weekend, Bolts down St Louis and Montreal March 18, 2023
- Deuces Wild in Lightning Win Over Devils March 16, 2023
- Devil of a Time for New Jersey against the Lightning March 14, 2023
- Jets Stop Bolts in Homestand Finale March 12, 2023
- Win Over Blackhawks is On Point March 11, 2023