We are 48 hours removed from the 2016 WWE Draft. World Wrestling Entertainment and Ultimate Fighting Championship mega star Brock Lesnar was the eighth overall pick in the draft. Many expected ‘The Beast Incarnate’ to be selected much sooner. Another confounding aspect of this is that Lesnar’s advocate, Paul Heyman, was not mentioned. With other superstars that have managers or valets, both names were mentioned. The IWC rumor mill has gone into overdrive. Information is sparse, but it is painting a troubling picture.
As reported by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Heyman’s contract with WWE has expired. Both parties have yet to come to an agreement. Given the rumors of Heyman being displeased with the fact that he’s used so sparingly, his ‘per appearance’ contract is less and less financially viable the more his client, Lesnar, is gone, one can understand his frustration. So this could be a tactic to force a better contract.
However, with Lesnar being flagged for a violation of the United States Anti-Doping Agency (likely costing him a higher spot in the draft), his status with World Wrestling Entertainment is vacillating to say the least. Because of this, Heyman possibly is without a powerful negotiating tool and may not be seen as valuable to the WWE.
It would be a shame if that were the case, as Paul E. is possibly the greatest wrestling mind of the modern era and definitely the best manager in the business. There are dozens of superstars that are astonishingly talented in the ring, but not as solid on the microphone. Heyman could take any number of mid-carders and elevate their status in little to no time. Here’s hoping that Heyman and the WWE can come to terms, sooner rather than later.
- Eight More Years of Hagel August 22, 2023
- 2021-23 NHL Draft Analyses August 20, 2023
- 2018-2020 NHL Draft Analyses August 14, 2023
- 2013-17 NHL Draft Analyses July 23, 2023
- 2007-12 NHL Draft Analyses July 17, 2023
- 2023 3v3 Prospect Tournament Recap July 13, 2023
- The Best Leader in the NHL July 2, 2023
- Depth deals kick off the first day of free agency for the Lightning July 1, 2023
- 2023 Draft Recap and More Tales June 29, 2023
- A Winning Organization (on and off the ice) May 6, 2023