PORT CHARLOTTE, FL – It was almost one year ago to the day that the Tampa Bay Rays handed two huge extensions to two key players. INF Brandon Lowe got six-years, $24 million and P Blake Snell five-years, $50 million. Over the next couple weeks, there might be a couple more players following suit. Rumors are starting to buzz a bit about possibly having two key cogs to the 2019 playoff run remain in Tampa Bay for a long time.
Meadows says there have been no figures discussed as of yet. He loves playing for the Rays and would love to continue to do so. Much the same, Glasnow’s camp has been in talks with the team but no numbers have been discussed. He, too, would like to play in Tampa long-term.
He told the Times, “I have no problem going year-to-year, or doing something like (a long term deal). But I haven’t thought about a lot in depth.” Glasnow is set to enter his first year of arbitration following the 2020 season. The lefty is already slated to make $2.05 million this season and is a “super two” player.
Meadows isn’t set to be arbitration-eligible for two more seasons and is currently under control through the 2024 season.
The Rays are still slated to be one of the lowest payrolls in MLB. Their Opening Day payroll is $71 million with $34 million of that guaranteed in 2021 and 2022.
Both Meadows and Glasnow had breakout years in 2019. Meadows slugged 33 home runs and a .922 OPS on his way to his first all star selection.
Glasnow, despite his near three-month injury, still posted a dominating 1.78 ERA in 12 starts.
- UFC 250 June 4, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 5/25/20 WWE crowds and AEW debuts May 31, 2020
- ‘Dock Talk’ with Killer has hockey community taking notice May 27, 2020
- NHL unveils document detaling protocols for Phase 2 of possible return May 25, 2020
- Brady, Arians an offensive match made in heaven? May 25, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 5/18/20 The road to Double or Nothing May 24, 2020
- Butherus: Go out and get that paper, Snell. And not a virus. May 18, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 5/11/20 Big announcements May 17, 2020
- WWE: Money In The Bank 2020 Results May 10, 2020
- Week pro wrestling 5/4/20 AEW is live again, big debuts May 9, 2020