PORT CHARLOTTE, FL – It was almost one year ago to the day that the Tampa Bay Rays handed two huge extensions to two key players. INF Brandon Lowe got six-years, $24 million and P Blake Snell five-years, $50 million. Over the next couple weeks, there might be a couple more players following suit. Rumors are starting to buzz a bit about possibly having two key cogs to the 2019 playoff run remain in Tampa Bay for a long time.
Meadows says there have been no figures discussed as of yet. He loves playing for the Rays and would love to continue to do so. Much the same, Glasnow’s camp has been in talks with the team but no numbers have been discussed. He, too, would like to play in Tampa long-term.
He told the Times, “I have no problem going year-to-year, or doing something like (a long term deal). But I haven’t thought about a lot in depth.” Glasnow is set to enter his first year of arbitration following the 2020 season. The lefty is already slated to make $2.05 million this season and is a “super two” player.
Meadows isn’t set to be arbitration-eligible for two more seasons and is currently under control through the 2024 season.
The Rays are still slated to be one of the lowest payrolls in MLB. Their Opening Day payroll is $71 million with $34 million of that guaranteed in 2021 and 2022.
Both Meadows and Glasnow had breakout years in 2019. Meadows slugged 33 home runs and a .922 OPS on his way to his first all star selection.
Glasnow, despite his near three-month injury, still posted a dominating 1.78 ERA in 12 starts.
- Panthers clinch home ice, blank Bolts in regular season finale May 10, 2021
- Lightning serve up defensive nightmare in drubbing at hands of Stars May 7, 2021
- Point and Killorn lead Lightning past Stars, now tied for second in Central May 5, 2021
- Third line and solid defense propel Lightning to win over Detroit May 2, 2021
- Lightning Can’t Finish in Shootout Loss in Detroit May 1, 2021
- Bolts continue dominance over Stars with 3-0 victory April 29, 2021
- Playoff-bound Bolts score up a storm to beat Hawks April 27, 2021
- Hedman’s heroics lift Lightning to crucial win over Jackets April 25, 2021
- D-Corps matches Columbus’ effort in much needed Lightning win. April 22, 2021
- Tyler Johnson: Grab Some Bench April 21, 2021