A six run second inning powered by a Renfroe grand slam advances the Rays into the ALDS for the sixth time in franchise history.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL — Two days in a row I wish I was at Tropicana Field with 20 thousand towel waving fanatics — yet here we are in the comfort of our own homes witnessing a two-game sweep of the Toronto Blue Jays to head to the American League Division Series.
“They played well. To beat that team twice like that,” Rays manager Kevin Cash said after the win. “Tight ballgame yesterday, fortunate to separate a little early today. We pitched extremely well. The defense, we pride ourselves so much on defense and it really showed up over the last two days.”
It was the second inning in a row where an error by Blue Jays shortstop, Bo Bichette, extended an inning and left the bases loaded for the Rays. This time, Hunter Renfroe made the Blue Jays pay in grand fashion.
Grand Bat Toss pic.twitter.com/2lMrbDk2zB
— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) September 30, 2020
“What a day,” Cash said when asked about Renfroe today. “Hunter’s going to play a big role in this. You can wash out what’s taken place this season. We value him in our lineup and certainly against left-handed pitchers, we know how talented he is. And he showed it today.”
The grand slam was the lone hit for Renfroe.
“It’s amazing. It feels great. We had a bunch of confidence going into this,” Glasnow said speaking about today’s win. ”
The Rays will now travel to San Diego to take on the New York Yankees. Game 1 of the ALDS is scheduled for Monday, October 5th at Petco Park. Time and starters are TBD currently.
The Rays won the season series against the Yankees 8-2.
- Killorn’s Gordie Howe hat trick helps Lightning top Hurricanes in overtime April 19, 2021
- Lightning Lose A Playoff Style Battle with Panthers April 17, 2021
- NHL Trade Deadline Review April 17, 2021
- Hedman’s heroics, Vasilevskiy help Bolts in victory over Panthers April 16, 2021
- Preds drub Bolts in brutal Music City defensive performance April 13, 2021
- Is Victor Hedman an All Time NHL Defenseman? April 11, 2021
- Andrei Vasilevskiy Shuts Down Predators April 10, 2021
- Lightning Trade for David Savard in Three Team Trade April 10, 2021
- First period onslaught helps Lightning end goal-scoring woes in victory April 8, 2021
- Frustrating Jackets Hand Lightning Another Loss to Start Road Trip April 6, 2021