A six run second inning powered by a Renfroe grand slam advances the Rays into the ALDS for the sixth time in franchise history.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL — Two days in a row I wish I was at Tropicana Field with 20 thousand towel waving fanatics — yet here we are in the comfort of our own homes witnessing a two-game sweep of the Toronto Blue Jays to head to the American League Division Series.
“They played well. To beat that team twice like that,” Rays manager Kevin Cash said after the win. “Tight ballgame yesterday, fortunate to separate a little early today. We pitched extremely well. The defense, we pride ourselves so much on defense and it really showed up over the last two days.”
It was the second inning in a row where an error by Blue Jays shortstop, Bo Bichette, extended an inning and left the bases loaded for the Rays. This time, Hunter Renfroe made the Blue Jays pay in grand fashion.
Grand Bat Toss pic.twitter.com/2lMrbDk2zB
— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) September 30, 2020
“What a day,” Cash said when asked about Renfroe today. “Hunter’s going to play a big role in this. You can wash out what’s taken place this season. We value him in our lineup and certainly against left-handed pitchers, we know how talented he is. And he showed it today.”
The grand slam was the lone hit for Renfroe.
“It’s amazing. It feels great. We had a bunch of confidence going into this,” Glasnow said speaking about today’s win. ”
The Rays will now travel to San Diego to take on the New York Yankees. Game 1 of the ALDS is scheduled for Monday, October 5th at Petco Park. Time and starters are TBD currently.
The Rays won the season series against the Yankees 8-2.
- Point plays hero again as Bolts edge Jackets in OT January 21, 2021
- Devin White comes up huge, Bucs move on January 17, 2021
- NFL Playoffs Divisional Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans January 16, 2021
- Offense overwhelms Chicago as Bolts sweep opening series January 15, 2021
- A Divisional round preview of Brady, Brees and Bucs vs Saints January 15, 2021
- Led by Steven Stamkos, Lightning cruise past Chicago 5-1 January 14, 2021
- The Goat leads Bucs as they Squeak by Washington January 10, 2021
- Tampa Bay takes on Washington in Wild-Card round January 8, 2021
- Tampa Bay hangs on against Atlanta to secure first wild card spot. January 3, 2021
- Tampa Bay takes on Atlanta in pivotal home finale January 3, 2021