A six run second inning powered by a Renfroe grand slam advances the Rays into the ALDS for the sixth time in franchise history.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL — Two days in a row I wish I was at Tropicana Field with 20 thousand towel waving fanatics — yet here we are in the comfort of our own homes witnessing a two-game sweep of the Toronto Blue Jays to head to the American League Division Series.
“They played well. To beat that team twice like that,” Rays manager Kevin Cash said after the win. “Tight ballgame yesterday, fortunate to separate a little early today. We pitched extremely well. The defense, we pride ourselves so much on defense and it really showed up over the last two days.”
It was the second inning in a row where an error by Blue Jays shortstop, Bo Bichette, extended an inning and left the bases loaded for the Rays. This time, Hunter Renfroe made the Blue Jays pay in grand fashion.
Grand Bat Toss pic.twitter.com/2lMrbDk2zB
— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) September 30, 2020
“What a day,” Cash said when asked about Renfroe today. “Hunter’s going to play a big role in this. You can wash out what’s taken place this season. We value him in our lineup and certainly against left-handed pitchers, we know how talented he is. And he showed it today.”
The grand slam was the lone hit for Renfroe.
“It’s amazing. It feels great. We had a bunch of confidence going into this,” Glasnow said speaking about today’s win. ”
The Rays will now travel to San Diego to take on the New York Yankees. Game 1 of the ALDS is scheduled for Monday, October 5th at Petco Park. Time and starters are TBD currently.
The Rays won the season series against the Yankees 8-2.
- Cracking the Kraken in Overtime in Seattle December 10, 2023
- Saros spoils Jeannot’s return to Nashville, winning streak ends at two December 7, 2023
- Payback Feels Good for Lightning against the Penguins December 6, 2023
- Hedman’s 1000th Game Spurs Vasy, Bolts to Shutout Victory December 4, 2023
- Another Slow Start, Sloppy Play Lead to Disaster in Dallas December 2, 2023
- Disappointing Homecoming for Vasilevskiy as Bolts lose 4-2 November 30, 2023
- Rocky Mountain Low for Bolts in Denver November 27, 2023
- He’s Back! The Successful Return of Andrei Vasilevskiy November 24, 2023
- No Overtime Luck for Bolts Tonight as Jets Win 3-2 November 22, 2023
- Measuring Stick Game for Lightning Comes Up Huge November 20, 2023