For the third game in a row, the Rays are victorious in extra innings.
ST. PETERSBURG — Wow! What a finish!
For the second consecutive game the Rays have won with a walk-off. Last night, it was off the bat of Nate Lowe, who smacked a two-run opposite field home run in the 11th inning.
“It was huge. I know he needed it,” Cash said after the celebration ended in the locker after the win. “We talked about it the other day. We’ve asked him to go up ans face the best reliever off the bench. That’s not ideal to ask a young player to do.”
Before the walk-off homer, there were ten other innings of baseball that were played — again.
The Rays got the scoring started in the third inning when — who else but — Travis d’Aranud drove in Austin Meadows with an RBI single to give the Rays a 1-0 lead. Joey Wendle also delivered in the third with an RBI single that scored Ji-Man Choi giving the Rays two runs in the inning.
Tyler Glasnow was brilliant yet again in his three innings of work. He only allowed two hits and struck out seven Red Sox hitters.
“Good. I felt really good from the start,” Glasnow said after the game. “Warmups felt good and I brought it into the game. Got some run support too obviously there. Great way to end the game. Great day overall.”
Since coming off of the IL on September 8th, Glasnow has pitched eight innings striking out 17(!!) batters.
He now sports a 1.92 ERA on the season.
If you say it, it sounds better — I swear. Willy Adames hit one of the longest home runs of the year for the Rays. In fact, it was the second longest of the season. According to StatCast, the ball traveled 462 feet and struck the D-ring catwalk in center field. Avisail Garcia has the longest home run, 471 feet, in Miami.
It was the 19th homer of the season for Adames.
Shawty Get Lowe
They Rays bullpen surrendered two late inning homers — Rafael Devers tied the game at three in the eighth inning with a two-run home run and Mitch Moreland gave the Red Sox a 4-3 lead with his 11th inning solo shot.
The Lowe walk-off home run was the first walk-off hit of his career.
“It was great,” Lowe said, still sticky from the Gatorade even after he showered. “Getting some opportunities all day to score and it’s a pretty solid bullpen over there. We capitalized on the chance we had and I’m glad I was the guy to get it done.”
The Rays are now in sole possession of the second wild card as the Philadelphia Phillies defeated the Cleveland Indians 9-4. Each team has seven games remaining this season.
- Rays win an absolute thriller, tie series at two October 25, 2020
- Game Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Las Vegas Raiders October 25, 2020
- UFC 254: Khabib vs. Gaethje October 24, 2020
- Morton struggles as Rays drop Game 3 to Dodgers October 24, 2020
- Did Tampa Bay make the right choice by signing Antonio Brown? October 23, 2020
- Slump buster; Lowe breaks out and leads Rays to Game 2 victory October 22, 2020
- Rays go down swinging, lose game 1 of the World Series October 21, 2020
- Defense leads the way in Bucs win over Packers October 18, 2020
- Rays win exciting Game 7, advance to World Series October 18, 2020
- Rays squeeze out another victory, take 2-0 ALCS lead October 12, 2020