The Rays are at it again! The have acquired Hernandez, Basabe and Ovalles from the Rangers in a six-player trade.
On what would have been the last day on the MLB Winter Meetings, the Tampa Bay Rays and the Texas Rangers completed a six-player trade that would send Nate Lowe, MiLB Jake Guenther and a PTBL to the Rangers in exchange for MiLB Heriberto Hernandez, MiLB Osleivis Basabe and MiLB Alexander Ovalles.
Hernandez, 20, was regarded at the No. 3 prospect in the Rangers organization according to FanGraphs. FanGraphs also has Hernandez as the No. 112 prospect overall. In his two years in the Rangers system, Hernandez owns a .320/.450/.635 (121-for-378) triple slash line. He also has 23 career minor league home runs with 32 doubles and has raked in 98 RBI. In 2019, he was named to the Arizona League postseason All-Star Team. Hernandez led the league with 48 RBI, 66 hits, 32 extra-base hits and 124 total bases.
Basabe, 20, was ranked as the No. 16 prospect in the Rangers system by FanGraphs. He has slashed 334/.386/.439 (118-for-353) with 18 doubles, one home run, 66 RBI and 19 stolen bases in 89 games.
Ovalles, 20, is batting .299/.376/.456 (84-for-281) with 18 doubles, four home runs and 41 RBI in 70 games over two minor league seasons and two organizations. He was acquired by the Rangers as a player to be named in the trade sending Cole Hamels to the Chicago Cubs.
All-MLB teams announced
Star reliever Nick Anderson made the 2020 All-MLB first team. In 19 games in 2020, Anderson pitched 16.1 innings striking out 26 batters (14.3 K/9) and walking three. He had six saves for the Rays with a 0.55 ERA and a 0.49 WHIP. With the sour taste of Game 6 of the World Series in everyone’s mouth, Anderson making first team was an absolute no brainer.
Big dawg Brandon Lowe was announced to the 2020 ALL-MLB second team. Lowe, who finished eighth in AL MVP voting in 2020, played in 56 games slashing .269/.362/.554 with 14 bombs and 37 RBI.
- With backs against the wall, Islanders win OT battle to force game 7 June 23, 2021
- Captain Stamkos leads Bolts to game 5 onslaught of Islanders June 21, 2021
- Conn Smythe candidate review: Ultimate team glory, but who’s MVP? June 21, 2021
- Fierce rally falls inches short as Pulock blocks game-tying bid June 19, 2021
- Apples, oranges, and hardware: Comparing Vasilevskiy to the best ever June 19, 2021
- Nassau Coliseum quieted as Lightning take 2-1 series lead over Islanders June 17, 2021
- Kucherov plays setup-man, Bolts bump Islanders to even series June 15, 2021
- Islanders able to capitalize on opportunities and win game 1 June 13, 2021
- Lightning-Islanders Stanley Cup Semifinal Preview June 13, 2021
- Goaltending thrives as Bolts knock out Hurricanes in Game 5 June 8, 2021