The Rays are at it again! The have acquired Hernandez, Basabe and Ovalles from the Rangers in a six-player trade.
On what would have been the last day on the MLB Winter Meetings, the Tampa Bay Rays and the Texas Rangers completed a six-player trade that would send Nate Lowe, MiLB Jake Guenther and a PTBL to the Rangers in exchange for MiLB Heriberto Hernandez, MiLB Osleivis Basabe and MiLB Alexander Ovalles.
Hernandez, 20, was regarded at the No. 3 prospect in the Rangers organization according to FanGraphs. FanGraphs also has Hernandez as the No. 112 prospect overall. In his two years in the Rangers system, Hernandez owns a .320/.450/.635 (121-for-378) triple slash line. He also has 23 career minor league home runs with 32 doubles and has raked in 98 RBI. In 2019, he was named to the Arizona League postseason All-Star Team. Hernandez led the league with 48 RBI, 66 hits, 32 extra-base hits and 124 total bases.
Basabe, 20, was ranked as the No. 16 prospect in the Rangers system by FanGraphs. He has slashed 334/.386/.439 (118-for-353) with 18 doubles, one home run, 66 RBI and 19 stolen bases in 89 games.
Ovalles, 20, is batting .299/.376/.456 (84-for-281) with 18 doubles, four home runs and 41 RBI in 70 games over two minor league seasons and two organizations. He was acquired by the Rangers as a player to be named in the trade sending Cole Hamels to the Chicago Cubs.
All-MLB teams announced
Star reliever Nick Anderson made the 2020 All-MLB first team. In 19 games in 2020, Anderson pitched 16.1 innings striking out 26 batters (14.3 K/9) and walking three. He had six saves for the Rays with a 0.55 ERA and a 0.49 WHIP. With the sour taste of Game 6 of the World Series in everyone’s mouth, Anderson making first team was an absolute no brainer.
Big dawg Brandon Lowe was announced to the 2020 ALL-MLB second team. Lowe, who finished eighth in AL MVP voting in 2020, played in 56 games slashing .269/.362/.554 with 14 bombs and 37 RBI.
- The New Lightning Players July 31, 2021
- Tampa Bay Locks up Point with big 8 Year Extension July 28, 2021
- Expansion draft predictions: Who we think the Kraken select July 20, 2021
- Protect the house: Stamkos, Vasilevskiy highlight Lightning untouchables July 18, 2021
- Walking Together Forever July 8, 2021
- Back-to-back attack: Bolts polish off Canadiens for second straight Cup July 8, 2021
- Habs prolong series against Bolts thanks to two-goal effort from Anderson July 5, 2021
- Bolts 1 win away from repeating as champions after game 3 win July 3, 2021
- Fortunate Bolts Squeak by Montreal for 2-0 Series Lead July 1, 2021
- Lightning steamroll past Canadiens in game 1 victory June 29, 2021