The Rays are at it again! The have acquired Hernandez, Basabe and Ovalles from the Rangers in a six-player trade.
On what would have been the last day on the MLB Winter Meetings, the Tampa Bay Rays and the Texas Rangers completed a six-player trade that would send Nate Lowe, MiLB Jake Guenther and a PTBL to the Rangers in exchange for MiLB Heriberto Hernandez, MiLB Osleivis Basabe and MiLB Alexander Ovalles.
Hernandez, 20, was regarded at the No. 3 prospect in the Rangers organization according to FanGraphs. FanGraphs also has Hernandez as the No. 112 prospect overall. In his two years in the Rangers system, Hernandez owns a .320/.450/.635 (121-for-378) triple slash line. He also has 23 career minor league home runs with 32 doubles and has raked in 98 RBI. In 2019, he was named to the Arizona League postseason All-Star Team. Hernandez led the league with 48 RBI, 66 hits, 32 extra-base hits and 124 total bases.
Basabe, 20, was ranked as the No. 16 prospect in the Rangers system by FanGraphs. He has slashed 334/.386/.439 (118-for-353) with 18 doubles, one home run, 66 RBI and 19 stolen bases in 89 games.
Ovalles, 20, is batting .299/.376/.456 (84-for-281) with 18 doubles, four home runs and 41 RBI in 70 games over two minor league seasons and two organizations. He was acquired by the Rangers as a player to be named in the trade sending Cole Hamels to the Chicago Cubs.
All-MLB teams announced
Star reliever Nick Anderson made the 2020 All-MLB first team. In 19 games in 2020, Anderson pitched 16.1 innings striking out 26 batters (14.3 K/9) and walking three. He had six saves for the Rays with a 0.55 ERA and a 0.49 WHIP. With the sour taste of Game 6 of the World Series in everyone’s mouth, Anderson making first team was an absolute no brainer.
Big dawg Brandon Lowe was announced to the 2020 ALL-MLB second team. Lowe, who finished eighth in AL MVP voting in 2020, played in 56 games slashing .269/.362/.554 with 14 bombs and 37 RBI.
- Devin White comes up huge, Bucs move on January 17, 2021
- NFL Playoffs Divisional Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans January 16, 2021
- Offense overwhelms Chicago as Bolts sweep opening series January 15, 2021
- A Divisional round preview of Brady, Brees and Bucs vs Saints January 15, 2021
- Led by Steven Stamkos, Lightning cruise past Chicago 5-1 January 14, 2021
- The Goat leads Bucs as they Squeak by Washington January 10, 2021
- Tampa Bay takes on Washington in Wild-Card round January 8, 2021
- Tampa Bay hangs on against Atlanta to secure first wild card spot. January 3, 2021
- Tampa Bay takes on Atlanta in pivotal home finale January 3, 2021
- End of an era: Snell traded to San Diego December 28, 2020