Trade frees up some leg room in a crowded outfield.
The moves keep on coming for the Tampa Bay Rays as they traded OF Mikie Mahtook to the Detroit Tigers on Wednesday for cash and the ‘ol “player to be named later.” With the signing of Colby Rasmus and getting Mallex Smith in a trade from the Mariners last week, a move was needed to free up space not only in the outfield but on the 40-man roster, as well. Moving Mahtook kills two birds with one stone. The specific cash number has not been disclosed as of yet.
Mahtook, 27, has spent parts of the last two seasons with the Rays. He made his MLB debut in 2015 and was the best hitter on the roster for the entire month of September that year. Unfortunately, coupled with nagging injuries in 2016, Mahtook had a very rough season last year and finished hitting .195/.231/.292 and a paltry .523 OPS.
Detroit designated OF Anthony Gose for assignment to make room on their own roster.
- A Winning Organization (on and off the ice) May 6, 2023
- Huge Game 6 OT Win for Toronto, Take Series 4-2 April 29, 2023
- Round one game five, win! April 27, 2023
- Rough Third Period Costs Bolts Game 4 April 24, 2023
- Pivotal Game 3 Goes to Leafs in OT April 23, 2023
- Tavares, Leafs Flip Script as Series Heads to Tampa Tied at 1 April 21, 2023
- Chaotic period becomes game changer in Game 1 win over Toronto April 18, 2023
- NHL First Round Playoff Series: Lightning vs. Maple Leafs April 18, 2023
- Who’s out? A very Tampa off-season preview April 16, 2023
- Point’s 50th (and 51st) Goal Help Lightning End Season On A Winning Note April 13, 2023