The Tampa Bay Rays and New York Yankees square off at 6:10 p.m. for the second game of this weekend’s series. Following tonight’s game will be a Summer Series concert featuring country artist Hunter Hayes.
On Friday, RHP Jake Odorizzi pitched 6 2/3 scoreless innings and the Rays’ bullpen closed out a 5-1 win over the Yankees. Logan Forsythe and Corey Dickerson both hit first-inning homers off New York starter Ivan Nova.
Here are tonight’s line ups:
Brett Gardner – LF
Jacoby Ellsbury – CF
Carlos Beltran – RF
Alex Rodriguez – DH
Mark Teixeira – 1B
Starlin Castro – 2B
Didi Gregorius – SS
Chase Headley – 3B
Austin Romine – C
Logan Forsythe – 2B
Brad Miller – DH
Evan Longoria – 3B
Corey Dickerson – LF
Steve Pearce – 1B
Kevin Kiermaier – CF
Steven Souza, Jr. – RF
Tim Beckham – SS
Curt Casali – C
On the mound
Rays: Drew Smyly (2-11, 5.42) gets the nod tonight, but is 0-7 over his last 11 starts. He’s the first Rays pitcher with a seven-game losing streak in the same season since James Shields in 2010. Smyly last pitched July 23 at Oakland, taking the no decision after going six innings and allowing just a run on six hits. Smyly last faced the Yankees on April 24, picking up the win, and is 2-0-1 with a 1.71 ERA all-time vs. New York. Smyly looks to extend the Rays streak of nine-straight quality starts by starting pitchers.
Yankees: Nathan Eovaldi (9-6, 4.80) will start tonight after five days’ rest, last pitching July 24 and picking up a win against San Fransisco. Eovaldi returned to the rotation July 19 and is looking to pick up his third-straight win. Evoaldi can also notch his fourth win in July tonight. He is 1-2 all-time vs. Tampa Bay, with the Rays scoring eight runs on 17 hits.
Tim Beckham was back in the starting line up Saturday afternoon, after having Friday night off. The 2008 No. 1 overall pick is 10 for his last 17 (.588).
OF Desmond Jennings (hamstring) is scheduled to play nine innings in left field tonight for the Charlotte StoneCrabs. … RHP Alex Cobb (Tommy John surgery) returned to the team today after throwing two innings Friday night for Class-A Charlotte.
The Rays are 6-5 in the last 11 games. … Dickerson snapped a 0-for-11 stretch with his homer Friday night. … Odorizzi has now pitched 14 2/3 straight scoreless innings. … Miller hit a double and triple in Friday night’s game, making it the fifth time he’s done so this season. … OF Brandon Guyer was hit by a pitch Friday night, giving him a major-league high 23. … Forsythe, with 10 home runs, is first Rays leadoff hitter with double-digit homers since Jennings hit 13 in 2011.
Follow Mike on Twitter.
- Point Leads Way in Thanksgiving Showdown November 25, 2022
- Measuring Stick Game Show Lightning Falling Short to Boston 5-3 November 21, 2022
- The Original Swedish Defense Legend November 21, 2022
- Winter Classic Reunion Goes to Overtime November 19, 2022
- Face-off failures brushed aside; Lightning extend win streak to three games November 17, 2022
- 2020 Cup Rematch: Exciting OT Lightning Win 5-4 November 15, 2022
- Strong Start Propels Bolts to Victory November 13, 2022
- Kuepmer leads impressive Washington over Tampa Bay November 11, 2022
- Brandon Hagel Finding his Stride on Top Line November 10, 2022
- With Loss, Lightning Do Not Avoid this Trap Game November 8, 2022