The call ups continued on Monday afternoon following an ugly 7-3 loss to the Baltimore Orioles. The Rays welcomed back from Durham, RHP Steve Geltz, OF Mikie Mahtook, 1B/3B Richie Shaffer, and making their 2016 debuts with the team, LHP Justin Marks and RHP Chase Whitley. They also designated C Hank Conger for assignment.
- RHP Steve Geltz – The righty broke the Opening Day roster with the club but has struggled mightily all season, particularly with being able to keep the ball in the ballpark. This will be his third stint with the big league club this year.
2016 stats w Rays: 22 G, 0-2, 6.86 ERA, 21 IP, 10 HR
2016 stats w Durham: 31 G, 0-2, 3.03 ERA, 35.2 IP, 40 K, 3 HR
- OF Mikie Mahtook – Unfortunately, Mahtook didn’t quite pick up where is September left off last season and has struggled much of the year. The Rays are hoping he can spark some September magic, once again.
2016 stats w Rays: 43 G, .158/.218/.228, 1 HR, 7 RBI
2016 stats w Durham: 27 G, .305/ .383/.438, 1 HR, 7 RBI
- 1B/3B Richie Shaffer – For the second year in a row, Shaffer has had only a small sample size with the big league club. A slugger who has destroyed baseballs at every minor league level just can’t seem to get his swing to translate to MLB. Here’s hoping for that next step this year.
2016 stats w Rays: 5 G, .286/.375/.429, 1 2B
2016 stats w Durham: 119 G, .227/.329/.367, 11 HR, 48 RBI
- LHP Justin Marks – It won’t be his MLB debut as he appeared in one game for Kansas City back in 2014. However, the 28-year old looks to make an impact with his new club after being called up Monday.
2016 stats w Durham: 7-11, 3.86 ERA, 25 G, 23 GS, 140 IP, 127 K
- RHP Chase Whitley – Finally, Whitley gets his shot on the mound with the Rays after being injured since coming over from the Yankees back in November 2015. He’s been rehabbing in the Rays lower minor leagues.
2016 minor league stats: 9 G, 9 GS, 2-1, 2.21 ERA, 36.2 IP, 32 K, .181 avg against
The surprise was not seeing INF Tim Beckham called up after he was sent down to Durham back on September 1 after what seemed to be a “lazy play” that most likely cost the Rays the game on August 31st against the Red Sox. The chances Beckham sees another at-bat this season are slim.
- Losing streak ends, top line flourishes in a commanding victory March 28, 2023
- Bruins Clinch Atlantic as Lightning Woes Continue March 25, 2023
- Dashing plays by Ottawa hands Lightning an embarrassing loss March 23, 2023
- Puck luck not on Bolts side, road trip begins with a loss in Montreal. March 21, 2023
- Third Time’s Not a Charm for Lightning in Loss to Devils March 19, 2023
- After Hall of Fame Weekend, Bolts down St Louis and Montreal March 18, 2023
- Deuces Wild in Lightning Win Over Devils March 16, 2023
- Devil of a Time for New Jersey against the Lightning March 14, 2023
- Jets Stop Bolts in Homestand Finale March 12, 2023
- Win Over Blackhawks is On Point March 11, 2023