Follow Ryan on Twitter
The news wasn’t good Friday as Tampa Bay Rays Manager, Kevin Cash, addressed the media before the team took the field to face the Boston Red Sox.
Reigning AL saves king, Brad Boxberger, had successful surgery Thursday to repair what Cash called a “core” injury. He is expected to miss eight weeks.
“Obviously it’s a blow because he’s so valuable to our team and our staff,” Cash said Friday. “But we do have a number of guys to fill that void.”
Cash assured the media the team would not look outside the organization for help and that he would play the matchup game every night until Boxberger’s return.
“We will not name a closer. We will close how it matches up and how we see fit.”
Boxberger, 27, led the American League in saves in 2015 with 41 and made his first All-Star game.
Stay tuned for updates.
- Losing streak ends, top line flourishes in a commanding victory March 28, 2023
- Bruins Clinch Atlantic as Lightning Woes Continue March 25, 2023
- Dashing plays by Ottawa hands Lightning an embarrassing loss March 23, 2023
- Puck luck not on Bolts side, road trip begins with a loss in Montreal. March 21, 2023
- Third Time’s Not a Charm for Lightning in Loss to Devils March 19, 2023
- After Hall of Fame Weekend, Bolts down St Louis and Montreal March 18, 2023
- Deuces Wild in Lightning Win Over Devils March 16, 2023
- Devil of a Time for New Jersey against the Lightning March 14, 2023
- Jets Stop Bolts in Homestand Finale March 12, 2023
- Win Over Blackhawks is On Point March 11, 2023