Follow Ryan on Twitter
The news wasn’t good Friday as Tampa Bay Rays Manager, Kevin Cash, addressed the media before the team took the field to face the Boston Red Sox.
Reigning AL saves king, Brad Boxberger, had successful surgery Thursday to repair what Cash called a “core” injury. He is expected to miss eight weeks.
“Obviously it’s a blow because he’s so valuable to our team and our staff,” Cash said Friday. “But we do have a number of guys to fill that void.”
Cash assured the media the team would not look outside the organization for help and that he would play the matchup game every night until Boxberger’s return.
“We will not name a closer. We will close how it matches up and how we see fit.”
Boxberger, 27, led the American League in saves in 2015 with 41 and made his first All-Star game.
Stay tuned for updates.
- Disappointing Homecoming for Vasilevskiy as Bolts lose 4-2 November 30, 2023
- Rocky Mountain Low for Bolts in Denver November 27, 2023
- He’s Back! The Successful Return of Andrei Vasilevskiy November 24, 2023
- No Overtime Luck for Bolts Tonight as Jets Win 3-2 November 22, 2023
- Measuring Stick Game for Lightning Comes Up Huge November 20, 2023
- Amalie Again Proves to be Sweet Home as Bolts Win 6-4 November 18, 2023
- Scoreless drought and losing streak come to an end in 4-2 victory November 16, 2023
- Stalwart Blues defense hand Lightning consecutive shutout losses November 14, 2023
- Saturday Night is Not Alright for Listless Lightning November 11, 2023
- Bedard, Blackhawks End Lightning Home Point Streak November 9, 2023