Rays lefty becomes the fifth pitcher in team history to win the AL Pitcher of the Month.
Blake Snell has had himself quite the season. The 25-year old in just his third year in the majors is putting up numbers that have him among the league leaders through August. He’s been so impressive, he’s garnering plenty of Cy Young conversation.
An August to remember
In five starts through the month of August, Snell posted the following numbers:
4-0, 1.04 ERA, 26 IP, .131 opponent batting avg against, 34 strikeouts to just six walks.
Those numbers have put him in elite Rays company. Just four other times in team history has a pitcher won such an award. Snell joins Chris Archer (July 2013), Jeremy Hellickson (May 2011), David Price (September 2010), and Scott Kazmir (May 2008) as the only recipients of the award.
Snell’s 2018 could also net him just the second Cy Young award in team history. While Boston’s Chris Sale might have something to say about it – Snell is making a very strong case for himself.
— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) September 4, 2018
His AL ranks as of September 4th:
W – 17 (t-1st)
ERA – 2.02 (2nd)
Batt avg against – .186 (2nd)
WHIP – 1.01 (4th)
Sale and Cleveland’s Corey Kluber look to be the only other competition for Snell in the Cy Young race so it’s likely he’ll finish as a finalist.
The only winner of the Cy Young in Rays history was Price back in 2012.
- As New Season Approaches, Lightning Key Players Look to Breakout August 4, 2022
- Confessions of a Superstitious Hockey Fan August 1, 2022
- Prospect Development Camp Player Profiles, Defense Edition Part Two July 29, 2022
- Hockey Popularity Soars with Women July 25, 2022
- Prospect Development Camp Player Profiles, Defense Edition Part One July 24, 2022
- Blashill Hopes to Flourish in Tampa After Tumultuous Tenure in Detroit July 23, 2022
- Prospect Development Camp Player Profiles, Forward Edition July 21, 2022
- The Scout Master July 20, 2022
- Ondrej Palat: A Forever Bolt July 14, 2022
- Free agency begins with Lightning extending key players and adding depth July 13, 2022