Tonight, the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays kick off a three-game AL East series that is the start of a 10-game homestand at Tropicana Field for the Rays.
The Rays come in at 39-61 following a day off and a two-game split series with the LA Dodgers. The Yankees are 52-49 after dropping two of three vs. the Houston Astros.
Here are tonight’s starting line ups:
Brett Gardner – LF
Jacoby Ellsbury – CF
Carlos Beltran – DH
Brian McCann – C
Mark Teixeira – 1B
Didi Gregorius – SS
Starlin Castro – 2B
Chase Headley – 3B
Rob Refsnyder – RF
Logan Forsythe – 2B
Brad Miller – SS
Evan Longoria – 3B
Corey Dickerson – DH
Steve Pearce – 1B
Kevin Kiermaier – CF
Steven Souza, Jr. – RF
Brandon Guyer – LF
Luke Maile – C
On the mound
Tonight, a pair of young right handers, both of whom have been the subject of trade rumors with Monday’s looming deadline, face off.
The Yankees send Ivan Nova in with his 7-5 record and 4.65 ERA. Nova last pitched Saturday vs. San Francisco, taking a no decision after going seven innings, allowing six hits, two walks, a homer and striking out seven. Nova is 8-6 in 17 games vs. Tampa Bay.
The Rays will have Jake Odorizzi on the mound with him looking to even his 4-5 record and lower his 4.10 ERA. Odorizzi last pitched Friday at Oakland for eight innings that resulted in his major-league leading 12th no decision. Odorizzi allowed just five hits and struck out five over 100 pitches.
Rays Roster Moves
Prior to Friday’s game, the Rays announced they placed Logan Morrison (right forearm strain) and Oswaldo Arcia (right elbow strain) on the disabled list. Morrison’s placement is retroactive to July 28, while Arcia’s is July 27. To correspond, the Rays activated reliever Brad Boxberger from the 15-day DL and recalled Nick Franklin from Triple-A Durham.
In the first 40 days of the seasons, the Rays had no players on the DL, but in the 77 days since then has placed 12 players on the list.
RHP Alex Cobb (Tommy John Surgery) will throw two innings tonight for Class-A Charlotte in his third rehab start. … OF Mikie Mahtook (left hand fracture) took batting practice prior to the game. … OF Desmond Jennings (left hamstring strain) will DH for Class-A Charlotte. … Durham manager Jared Sandberg has been selected to manage the Peoria Javelinas in the Arizona Fall League.
This Date In Rays History
July 29, 2006: The Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays tied a team record by scoring 19 runs at Yankee Stadium led by four doubles from Tomas Perez. OF Damon Hollis and now Rays first base coach Rocco Baldelli had five and three RBI, respectively, while Hall of Famer Randy Johnson allowed nine runs in 3.1 innings pitched.
Follow Mike on Twitter.
- Another Slow Start, Sloppy Play Lead to Disaster in Dallas December 2, 2023
- Disappointing Homecoming for Vasilevskiy as Bolts lose 4-2 November 30, 2023
- Rocky Mountain Low for Bolts in Denver November 27, 2023
- He’s Back! The Successful Return of Andrei Vasilevskiy November 24, 2023
- No Overtime Luck for Bolts Tonight as Jets Win 3-2 November 22, 2023
- Measuring Stick Game for Lightning Comes Up Huge November 20, 2023
- Amalie Again Proves to be Sweet Home as Bolts Win 6-4 November 18, 2023
- Scoreless drought and losing streak come to an end in 4-2 victory November 16, 2023
- Stalwart Blues defense hand Lightning consecutive shutout losses November 14, 2023
- Saturday Night is Not Alright for Listless Lightning November 11, 2023