A long-time Tampa Bay Buccaneer shocked the football world Sunday night during the Pro Bowl, as John Lynch was named the San Francisco 49ers GM.
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) January 30, 2017
John Lynch is used to being on the field in the Bay Area, and will now decide who will play in the Bay Area, only on the other side of the country. It was annoucced during the Pro Bowl that Lynch was hired to be the GM of the San Francisco 49ers on a six-year deal, per Adam Schefter. Lynch was with the Buccaneers for 11 seasons from 1993 through 2003, winning a Superbowl in ’02. He played 15 seasons in total, four of which were with the Broncos.
The Stanford man has the potential to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and be hired as a GM in the same season. He is one of the favored candidates going into the next Hall of Fame induction.
John Lynch is coming to a team fresh off a 2-14 season, that has the second pick in the NFL Draft, and the most cap space in the entire league. For a man who has never had a job in the front office, this could very well be a fun job for the ex-Buccaneer.
Lynch had been an analyst for NFL on FOX for several years, but had been linked to a few other front office jobs in the past.
Kyle Shanahan, the favorite to become the 49ers new head coach, and currently the offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons, had a conversion with Lynch, talking about the new job. Although Shanahan still has the Superbowl to coach, it looks like he may be the next coach of the San Francisco 49ers.
There are now five ex-NFL players as active GM’s, Ozzie Newsome, John Dorsey, Ted Thompson, John Elway and now John Lynch.
- Another Slow Start, Sloppy Play Lead to Disaster in Dallas December 2, 2023
- Disappointing Homecoming for Vasilevskiy as Bolts lose 4-2 November 30, 2023
- Rocky Mountain Low for Bolts in Denver November 27, 2023
- He’s Back! The Successful Return of Andrei Vasilevskiy November 24, 2023
- No Overtime Luck for Bolts Tonight as Jets Win 3-2 November 22, 2023
- Measuring Stick Game for Lightning Comes Up Huge November 20, 2023
- Amalie Again Proves to be Sweet Home as Bolts Win 6-4 November 18, 2023
- Scoreless drought and losing streak come to an end in 4-2 victory November 16, 2023
- Stalwart Blues defense hand Lightning consecutive shutout losses November 14, 2023
- Saturday Night is Not Alright for Listless Lightning November 11, 2023