His name is Timothy Richard Tebow – and he’s now a professional baseball player.
He’s won two National Championships as arguably the greatest quarterback to come out of the University of Florida where he also won a Heisman Trophy in 2007. He was then drafted in the first round, 25th overall, in the 2010 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos and went on to win a playoff game for them in 2011. A cup of coffee with the Jets, Patriots, and Eagles after that and Tebow’s NFL career came to an abrupt and disappointing end after being cut by the Eagles in 2015.
It’s September 8, 2016 and now, Tim Tebow is a professional baseball player. I had to remind you twice just in case you didn’t catch it the first time.
The New York Mets signed Tebow to a minor league contract Thursday and he will begin his pro baseball career in their instructional league down in Port St Lucie, Florida. Earlier this week it was rumored that Tebow would, in fact, be signing with the Atlanta Braves organization as he did work out for them along with scouts from many other MLB teams that showed interest in the former quarterback.
While Tebow still has his cushy college football analyst position for the SEC Network working for ESPN, a position he’s had since 2013, he seems pretty set on molding himself into a legitimate professional baseball player. Will the world ever see him stepping to the plate for the Mets at the major league level? Who knows. For now, we’ll get to sit back and watch a true athlete try his hand at a sport he hasn’t played on a consistent basis since his high school days where he was actually very successful and made the All State team his junior year in 2005. In fact, the Los Angeles Angels showed interest in drafting Tebow if he would have played one more year.
Tebow, 29, was signed by the Mets as an outfielder and will play in their instructional league from September 18-October 8.
Stay tuned for updates on the budding baseball career of Tim Tebow as they happen.
- Jerseys Change but Poor Play Continues for Bolts February 22, 2024
- Surly Lightning Lose to Cellar Dwelling Senators February 19, 2024
- Horrible loss for Lightning to the Panthers February 17, 2024
- Kucherov Shines in Marquee Matchup February 15, 2024
- Rugged puck play nullified with a successful shootout result February 13, 2024
- Hagel, Vasilevskiy Help Bolts Find Momentum in Columbus February 10, 2024
- Island breeze unkind in humiliating defeat against the Islanders February 8, 2024
- Start Spreading the News, Lightning Win Streak Is Over February 7, 2024
- A Gasparilla Parade of Goals for Lightning against the Devils January 27, 2024
- Kucherov, Stamkos Fight off Coyote Attack January 25, 2024