Tonight, the Tampa Bay Rays square off against the Kansas City Royals in the second game of a four-game series. Monday night, it was all Danny Duffy, who carried a no hitter into the eighth inning and struck out a franchise-record 16 batters in the Royals’ 3-0 win.
Here are tonight’s lineups:
Logan Forsythe – 2B
Kevin Kiermaier – CF
Evan Longoria – 3B
Brad Miller – SS
Desmond Jennings – LF
Corey Dickerson – DH
Steven Souza, Jr. – RF
Nick Franklin – 1B
Luke Maile – C
Alcides Escobar – SS
Cheslor Cuthbert – 3B
Lorenzo Cain – RF
Eric Hosmer – 1B
Kendrys Morales – DH
Salvador Perez – C
Alex Gordon – LF
Paulo Orlando – CF
Raul Mondesi – 2B
On the mound
Rays: Matt Andriese returns to the rotation to fill in the spot vacated by the departing Matt Moore. Tuesday will be his ninth start this season (6-2, 2.75). Andriese’s last start came June 25 in Baltimore in the first game of the doubleheader and suffered a 5-0 loss. He lasted just 4 2/3 innings, but Andriese pitched two innings of relief Saturday vs. New York, allowing just the a solo homer to Chase Headley. In three appearances vs. Kansas City, Andriese has a 1.23 ERA.
Royals: Yordano Ventura (6-9, 4.88) makes his fourth-career start vs. Tampa Bay tonight and is coming off his first career complete game. However, that was a 3-2 loss to Texas on Thursday when he allowed three solo homers. Ventura is just 2-6 with a 5.02 ERA on the road.
With Monday’s deadline moves, especially the one with San Fransisco Giants that sent LHP Matt Moore out west and brought in three players, including infielder Matt Duffy, it means a positional change for Rays SS Brad Miller. Duffy, who is on rehab assignment at the Triple A level, should return soon, however, Miller was told yesterday that he’ll play first base and then some outfield. Tuesday, Miller expressed his disappointment on the position change, but would be “professional” about it and “play where he is told.”
The traded with the Giants also brought over minor league shortstop Lucius Fox and RHP Michael Santos.
On Tuesday, the Rays recalled ULT Taylor Motter and RP Ryan Garton from Triple-A Durham.
Follow Mike on Twitter.
- Stalwart Defenseman Traded by Lightning July 3, 2022
- Time To Celebrate Our Tampa Bay Lightning June 29, 2022
- Despite the fight, Colorado takes Game 6 and Stanley Cup June 26, 2022
- Resilient Lightning Survive Denver and Force Game Six in Tampa June 25, 2022
- Vasilevskiy’s OT effort not enough as Avs take 3-1 series lead over Bolts June 23, 2022
- Lightning Take Major Step with 6-2 Win June 21, 2022
- Avalanche smother Lightning in Game 2 June 18, 2022
- Hard hitting Avalanche take down Lightning in overtime to win Game 1 June 15, 2022
- Stanley Cup Final Preview and Prediction June 15, 2022
- Third consecutive trip to the Final awaits as Lightning finish off Rangers June 11, 2022