Tonight, the Tampa Bay Rays square off against the Kansas City Royals in the second game of a four-game series. Monday night, it was all Danny Duffy, who carried a no hitter into the eighth inning and struck out a franchise-record 16 batters in the Royals’ 3-0 win.
Here are tonight’s lineups:
Logan Forsythe – 2B
Kevin Kiermaier – CF
Evan Longoria – 3B
Brad Miller – SS
Desmond Jennings – LF
Corey Dickerson – DH
Steven Souza, Jr. – RF
Nick Franklin – 1B
Luke Maile – C
Alcides Escobar – SS
Cheslor Cuthbert – 3B
Lorenzo Cain – RF
Eric Hosmer – 1B
Kendrys Morales – DH
Salvador Perez – C
Alex Gordon – LF
Paulo Orlando – CF
Raul Mondesi – 2B
On the mound
Rays: Matt Andriese returns to the rotation to fill in the spot vacated by the departing Matt Moore. Tuesday will be his ninth start this season (6-2, 2.75). Andriese’s last start came June 25 in Baltimore in the first game of the doubleheader and suffered a 5-0 loss. He lasted just 4 2/3 innings, but Andriese pitched two innings of relief Saturday vs. New York, allowing just the a solo homer to Chase Headley. In three appearances vs. Kansas City, Andriese has a 1.23 ERA.
Royals: Yordano Ventura (6-9, 4.88) makes his fourth-career start vs. Tampa Bay tonight and is coming off his first career complete game. However, that was a 3-2 loss to Texas on Thursday when he allowed three solo homers. Ventura is just 2-6 with a 5.02 ERA on the road.
With Monday’s deadline moves, especially the one with San Fransisco Giants that sent LHP Matt Moore out west and brought in three players, including infielder Matt Duffy, it means a positional change for Rays SS Brad Miller. Duffy, who is on rehab assignment at the Triple A level, should return soon, however, Miller was told yesterday that he’ll play first base and then some outfield. Tuesday, Miller expressed his disappointment on the position change, but would be “professional” about it and “play where he is told.”
The traded with the Giants also brought over minor league shortstop Lucius Fox and RHP Michael Santos.
On Tuesday, the Rays recalled ULT Taylor Motter and RP Ryan Garton from Triple-A Durham.
Follow Mike on Twitter.
- Losing streak ends, top line flourishes in a commanding victory March 28, 2023
- Bruins Clinch Atlantic as Lightning Woes Continue March 25, 2023
- Dashing plays by Ottawa hands Lightning an embarrassing loss March 23, 2023
- Puck luck not on Bolts side, road trip begins with a loss in Montreal. March 21, 2023
- Third Time’s Not a Charm for Lightning in Loss to Devils March 19, 2023
- After Hall of Fame Weekend, Bolts down St Louis and Montreal March 18, 2023
- Deuces Wild in Lightning Win Over Devils March 16, 2023
- Devil of a Time for New Jersey against the Lightning March 14, 2023
- Jets Stop Bolts in Homestand Finale March 12, 2023
- Win Over Blackhawks is On Point March 11, 2023