Kansas City’s Eric Hosmer and Salvador Perez both homered and Hosmer named the game’s MVP as the American League topped the National League 4-2 at Petco Park in San Diego.
In a three-hour, five-minute game that featured 34 first-time All Stars, the American League won its fourth-straight All-Star Game and home-field advantage in the World Series.
Hosmer became the first Royal to win the MVP award since Bo Jackson did in 1989. Homer hit a two-run homer in the second off N.L. Starter, San Francisco’s Johnny Cueto, who was Hosmer’s teammate on the World Series champ Royals last season. Perez would also tag Cueto for a solo shot, as Cueto gave up three runs on five hits.
The N.L. picked up the game’s first run off the A.L. starter, White Sox lefty Chris Sale, when Chicago’s Kris Bryant hit a solo homer. The A.L. would send out a new starter at the top of each inning, while the N.L. picked up its second run off of Toronto’s Aaron Sanchez in the fourth.
After Sanchez, the A.L. would use six relievers over the final five innings to shut down the N.L.’s potent offense. In the eighth, Houston’s Will Harris would inherit a two-out, bases loaded jam and strike out St. Louis’ Aledmys Diaz looking.
While the N.L. would leave 10 stranded on base in the game, the A.L’s six relievers would combine to allow five hits, a walk and strike out six.
“My strategy was to use starters for the first five innings and then let’s wham them with power arms,” Royals and A.L. manager Ned Yost told MLB Network.
Boston’s David Ortiz would walk in the second of his two plate appearances in his final All-Star Game. Ortiz, who is retiring after this season, was lifted in the third for a pinch runner and received a standing ovation and hugs from his A.L. teammates.
Tampa Bay Rays closer and lone All Star Alex Colome did not see any action Tuesday evening out of the A.L. bullpen.
- Jerseys Change but Poor Play Continues for Bolts February 22, 2024
- Surly Lightning Lose to Cellar Dwelling Senators February 19, 2024
- Horrible loss for Lightning to the Panthers February 17, 2024
- Kucherov Shines in Marquee Matchup February 15, 2024
- Rugged puck play nullified with a successful shootout result February 13, 2024
- Hagel, Vasilevskiy Help Bolts Find Momentum in Columbus February 10, 2024
- Island breeze unkind in humiliating defeat against the Islanders February 8, 2024
- Start Spreading the News, Lightning Win Streak Is Over February 7, 2024
- A Gasparilla Parade of Goals for Lightning against the Devils January 27, 2024
- Kucherov, Stamkos Fight off Coyote Attack January 25, 2024