Why are we still waiting for Nikita Kucherov to get a deal? Steven Stamkos, Victor Hedman, Andrei Vasilevskiy, and Alex Killorn are all big names for the Tampa Bay Lightning that have something important in common: they were either given contract extensions or new deals by the Lightning earlier this offseason. However, we’re almost halfway through August, and Kucherov is the last big name on the roster that is still a restricted free agent and fans are wondering why he is not signed yet.
Kucherov has had a huge impact for this team over the last two seasons, including the playoffs. Could this be the reason that the Lightning have not signed him yet? Could Kucherov be holding out for more money because he feels like he might be worth more than what the Bolts might be willing to pay him? Tampa bay doesn’t have much left under the salary cap, as CapFriendly.com has them at just over $6.5 million of room to work with, which could easily be a factor that’s holding things up.
The Lightning don’t usually let word out about what is going on with player contracts until they’ve been signed. Nobody really knew what was going on with the team signing Stamkos until that deal was done. Maybe the Lightning were looking to trade goalie Ben Bishop this offseason to free up some salary cap space, but with that not happening, it could have put a damper on Yzerman’s plans for re-signing his restricted free agents like Kucherov and Nikita Nesterov. One thing is for sure, we can speculate all day long and we still won’t know for sure what is going on. Yzerman has done right by Lightning fans so far and has made some great moves and signings that have allowed him to keep a quality team on the ice. Can Yzerman pull off another big signing to end the offseason like he started it? We will know soon enough since the season is just around the corner.
- Losing streak ends, top line flourishes in a commanding victory March 28, 2023
- Bruins Clinch Atlantic as Lightning Woes Continue March 25, 2023
- Dashing plays by Ottawa hands Lightning an embarrassing loss March 23, 2023
- Puck luck not on Bolts side, road trip begins with a loss in Montreal. March 21, 2023
- Third Time’s Not a Charm for Lightning in Loss to Devils March 19, 2023
- After Hall of Fame Weekend, Bolts down St Louis and Montreal March 18, 2023
- Deuces Wild in Lightning Win Over Devils March 16, 2023
- Devil of a Time for New Jersey against the Lightning March 14, 2023
- Jets Stop Bolts in Homestand Finale March 12, 2023
- Win Over Blackhawks is On Point March 11, 2023