Victor Hedman is heading home with the distinction of being named the best NHL defenseman for the 2017-2018 season. He was a finalist last season.
— NHL (@NHL) June 21, 2018
Best of the Best
The Lightning’s big Swede is bringing the Norris Trophy as the league’s best defenseman to Tampa. Following a season in which Hedman tallied 17 goals and 46 assists for 63 points he is recognized as the NHL’s top blueliner. P.K. Subban (59 pts, 16g-43a) and Drew Doughty (60 pts, 10g-50a) were the other nominees for the award. In 2016-2017 Hedman set a career high in points with 72 (16g-56a), but was beat out for the Norris by Brett Burns. The Lightning blueliner has been in the top ten of Norris Trophy voting three times in the last five seasons.
Won’t be the last
The Lightning blueliner has been in the top ten of Norris Trophy voting three times in the last five seasons. With his first time being a finalist in consecutive years, one would say this will be the first of many Norris Trophy wins for the Lightning defenseman. Both Doughty and Subban have a Norris Trophy on their resume, and have been in consideration for that award year after year.
Voting for the Norris Trophy is conducted by members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association.
Other Lightning Finalists
Andrei Vasilevskiy lost out to Pekka Rinne for the Vezina Trophy, while Steve Yzerman lost out to George McPhee for GM of the Year.
- Rays lose a heartbreaker, World Series hopes slip away in Game 6 October 28, 2020
- Brady lights up the Raiders in a blow-out 45-20 win in Las Vegas. October 25, 2020
- Rays win an absolute thriller, tie series at two October 25, 2020
- Game Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Las Vegas Raiders October 25, 2020
- UFC 254: Khabib vs. Gaethje October 24, 2020
- Morton struggles as Rays drop Game 3 to Dodgers October 24, 2020
- Did Tampa Bay make the right choice by signing Antonio Brown? October 23, 2020
- Slump buster; Lowe breaks out and leads Rays to Game 2 victory October 22, 2020
- Rays go down swinging, lose game 1 of the World Series October 21, 2020
- Defense leads the way in Bucs win over Packers October 18, 2020