Welcome to Tampa, @shattdeuces!
We have signed Kevin Shattenkirk to a one-year contract worth $1.75 million. ⚡️
— Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) August 5, 2019
TAMPA BAY- Tampa Bay Lightning GM Julian BriseBois announced today the team had signed veteran defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk to a one-year deal. The contract is worth $1.75 million, Shattenkirk became a free agent when the New York Rangers bought him out following two seasons with the team.
While a member of the Rangers, Shattenkirk only managed to play in 119 games (46 in 17-18 and 73 in 18-19). When he entered free agency in the summer of 2017-2019 he was the top d-man target for a lot of teams, including the Lightning who did try to trade for him prior to the trade deadline.
Those who left an opening
With Anton Stralman going to the Florida Panthers as a UFA and Dan Girardi still a free agent the Bolts were looking to add to their defensive core. Currently the Lightning have nine defensemen on their roster.
- Victor Hedman (6 years remaining on contract UFA)
- Ryan McDonagh (7 Years UFA)
- Shattenkirk (1 Year UFA)
- Braydon Coburn (2 Years UFA)
- Jan Rutta (1 Year UFA)
- Mikhail Sergachev (1 Year RFA)
- Luke Schenn (1 Year UFA)
- Luke Witkowski (2 Years UFA)
- Erik Cernak (1 Year RFA)
On their entry level contract
An eye to the future, well at least the upcoming playoffs
Following an abrupt exit in this years playoffs, BriseBois is getting this team ready for a long run next season. With the addition of Shattenkirk though, there might be some changes as both Witkowski and Schenn signed one way deals. That means for the team to send them down they would need to clear waivers. Any player on a entry level contract is exempt from having to clear waivers.
How will it all shape out
Some people expected Cal Foote to make a run at the opening night roster this season, and while he still may this signing allows the team to groom him a little bit more in Syracuse with the Crunch.
If the season started today one could expect the six man defensive grouping to look something like this in not particular grouping.
- Hedman – Sergachev
- McDonagh – Cernak
- Coburn – Shattenkirk
Stay tuned though as the team preps to head to training camp next month, where a lot of questions should be answered.
- Game Preview: Cleveland Browns at Tampa Bay Buccaneers August 23, 2019
- Beeks struggles late, Rays fall again August 20, 2019
- Tampa Bay signs Jason Licht to new 5-year deal August 17, 2019
- Tampa Bay edges Miami in rainy preseason affair August 17, 2019
- The Week In Wrestling (8/16/19) WWE landscape has changed August 16, 2019
- Is Nate Diaz Overrated? August 15, 2019
- Rays explode late, continue west coast win streak August 13, 2019
- Buccaneers vs. Dolphins: Looking ahead to preseason Week 2 August 12, 2019
- Summerslam/NXT ’19 Chaos and smart booking reigns August 12, 2019
- Buccaneers’ Preseason Recap: Who stood out and who didn’t August 11, 2019