Make it two, as Tampa Bay wins Super Bowl LV
When it’s so nice, you make it twice. Two Super Bowl victories that is for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. For the second time in franchise history, the Buccaneers were able to hoist the elusive Lombardi Trophy that 32 National Football League teams start out the season chasing.
Tampa Bay (15-5) ran the table despite starting off as a Wild-Card team and won eight straight games en route to winning Super Bowl LV 31-9 over the Kansas City Chiefs in a home game at Raymond James Stadium. With the victory, Tampa Bay quarterback Tom Brady (21-of-29, 201 yards, 3 touchdowns) won his seventh championship and his first since he left the New England Patriots. Brady, who was named the Super Bowl LV Most Valuable Player award, won six championships with the Patriots.
In what looked to be a titanic matchup between two high flying offenses ended up becoming a somewhat one-sided affair for Tampa Bay. After Kansas City (16-3) started the game off going up 3-0, Tampa Bay scored its first touchdown in the opening quarter on a short throw from Brady to trusty tight end Rob Gronkowski. The Chiefs made what looked to be a huge goal line stand in the second quarter, but it ended up being for not.
The Buccaneers scored a 17-yard touchdown on another Brady to Gronkowski pass with 6:05 left and then a dagger with just 10 seconds before halftime. Brady hit Antonio Brown on a one yard throw to give Tampa Bay a commanding 21-9 lead heading into intermission.
The talk of the night was how Kansas City’s backup offensive tackles would handle the Buccaneers’ defensive ends Shaq Barrett and Jason Pierre-Paul and the answer was not well. Barrett ended the night with two sacks on Patrick Mahomes, who was playing with a turf toe injury that he will have repaired this off-season. The Chiefs had mounted comeback all postseason long, but it didn’t matter this time around. It would unequivocally be Tampa Bay’s night and well into the morning.
What many will be talking about is how huge the signing of Brady was this off-season to the Buccaneers, as Tampa Bay made the splash of acquiring the former New England signal caller. Now with Brady winning another Super Bowl title, it’s always about eyeing the next one and that one will be Super Bowl LVI in Los Angeles, California next year. Super Bowl LV belonged to Tampa Bay in more ways than one.
- Without Kucherov, Lightning lay another egg on home ice October 19, 2021
- Penalty kill perfection leads to overtime heroics for Lightning in DC October 16, 2021
- Lightning rebound with a frantic comeback victory over Detroit October 15, 2021
- Lightning come out Flat and Fall to Pittsburgh on Banner Night October 13, 2021
- 2021-22 Lightning Season Preview October 12, 2021
- Preseason struggles continue as Bolts drop another to Preds October 3, 2021
- The New Lightning Players July 31, 2021
- Tampa Bay Locks up Point with big 8 Year Extension July 28, 2021
- Expansion draft predictions: Who we think the Kraken select July 20, 2021
- Protect the house: Stamkos, Vasilevskiy highlight Lightning untouchables July 18, 2021