On Monday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers parted ways with defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. Less than 24 hours after releasing their 2010 first round draft pick, the team has his replacement.
TAMPA – It did not take long for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to find their replacement for former defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. The team announced Tuesday that it had signed veteran defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. The deal is for one year but the salary is not yet known.
Prior to spending his last 4 seasons with the Miami Dolphins and Los Angeles Rams, Suh spent 2010-2014 in Detroit. The Lions selected Suh with the second overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, just one spot ahead of Gerald McCoy.
Over his 9 seasons in the League, Suh has recorded 479 total tackles and 56 sacks. He started all 16 games in every season of his career except for 2011. That season, Suh missed 2 games due to a suspension for stomping on the arm of Packers’ offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith.
Suh also faced discipline by the NFL when he was fined 9 times from 2010-2018 by the league for disciplinary reasons and most recently penalized for a horse collar tackle last season with the Rams that resulted in a $20,054 fine.
Ndamukong Suh will certainly bring a level of intensity and fire that has been lacking in Tampa for some time. While McCoy and Suh will always be measured against one another as first round picks of the same draft, their on field attitudes are drastically different. McCoy establushed a “nice guy” reputation on the field. He was often criticized for his effort in tackling and coming off blocks. As a result, the Bucs made a statement of what will be expected of the defense in 2019 by replacing McCoy with Suh.
- Extreme Fallout Leads the Way Toward the Show of the Summer July 19, 2019
- Fallout from Extreme Rules continues on Smackdown Live July 17, 2019
- The Fiend make his long awaited debut in Long Island July 15, 2019
- Extreme title changes at Extreme rules July 15, 2019
- Evolve Towards Extreme Rules This Weekend July 12, 2019
- Rays control their post-season destiny as second half begins Friday July 10, 2019
- Kevin Owens pipe bombs right before Extreme Rules July 10, 2019
- Ricochet runs the gauntlet before U.S. Title Match this Sunday July 8, 2019
- Changes Already Being Felt As New Creative Powers Take Over July 6, 2019
- A heel turns in to face, kind of tonight July 3, 2019