Buccaneers can clinch playoff berth vs Lions
Get after Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford
The lack of a true run game for the Lions makes their offense one-dimensional behind quarterback Matthew Stafford, who is currently playing injured. Stafford was for the most part ineffective against the Tennessee Titans last week, in which the Lions’ signal caller threw for 252 yards and a touchdown in Detroit’s 46-25 loss. Not having to worry much about the run game versus Detroit will mean more of a green light to get after Stafford, who did not play against the Buccaneers last year due to injury. Tampa Bay rolled into Detroit and won handily behind a 450-yard plus performance from former starting quarterback Jameis Winston.
Tampa Bay’s offense should have a field day
If there’s a game down this final four-game stretch that the Buccaneers should look towards getting back on track and piling up yards, points, this should be the one. The Lions are ranked 30th in the NFL in total yards allowed, with the defense ranking 29th (137.3 yards per game) against the run and 27th (264.1 per game) versus the pass. That bodes well for Tampa Bay’s offense starting the game off slow. The Buccaneers’ struggles out of the gate come well documented, as Tampa Bay failed to score a single point in the first half last Sunday versus Atlanta. It would be a good opportunity for the Buccaneers to open the game off running and get themselves in gear for the postseason, as slow starts will hinder any chances of making a deep playoff run.
Brady should set single season touchdown record on Sunday
It has only been about one season for Tom Brady and the 43-year old is already about to set a team single season franchise record. Funny thing is the record he’s about to break was just set last season by Winston, who threw for a single season team record of 32 touchdowns in 2019. Winston also threw for 30 interceptions, which eventually led to his exit from Tampa Bay and the signing of Brady in the off-season. Brady, who is currently sitting at 32 touchdowns and 11 interceptions on the season, is on pace to set the new single season mark at 33 touchdowns (and beyond) Sunday versus the Lions and etch his name into the franchise record books. Based on Brady’s own personal achievements, he is on pace to throw for the most touchdowns in his career since 2015 when he threw for 36 touchdowns and yardage wide he should go over the 4,300 mark. Last time Brady threw for over 4,300 yards, he won a Super Bowl with New England. Brady’s quarterback rating should also be his best since 2018 and possibly beat out the 97.7 rating he had in 2018. Buccaneers can clinch a postseason berth today if Brady plays well.
- Devin White comes up huge, Bucs move on January 17, 2021
- NFL Playoffs Divisional Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans January 16, 2021
- Offense overwhelms Chicago as Bolts sweep opening series January 15, 2021
- A Divisional round preview of Brady, Brees and Bucs vs Saints January 15, 2021
- Led by Steven Stamkos, Lightning cruise past Chicago 5-1 January 14, 2021
- The Goat leads Bucs as they Squeak by Washington January 10, 2021
- Tampa Bay takes on Washington in Wild-Card round January 8, 2021
- Tampa Bay hangs on against Atlanta to secure first wild card spot. January 3, 2021
- Tampa Bay takes on Atlanta in pivotal home finale January 3, 2021
- End of an era: Snell traded to San Diego December 28, 2020