Sunday was a busy day for the Rays on and off the field in Toronto.
ST. PETERSBURG – After winning the series in Toronto yesterday, the Rays now sit a half game back of Oakland for the final AL wild card. The victory on the field wasn’t the only news north of the border. The Rays traded with the Blue Jays for infielder Eric Sogard for two players to be named.
Sogard, 33, is having a break-out season. He originally signed a minor league contract with the Jays with an invite to spring training and has taken full advantage. He is batting .300/.363/.477 with 17 doubles, two triples, 10 home runs, 30 RBI and six stolen bases. His 10 home runs are a career-high. Another huge perk Sogard brings to the lineup is his strikeout rate. In 323 at bats this season he’s struck out just 47 times.
Dealing with Cleveland
Despite chasing the Indians in the wild card standings, a little business was done Sunday.
Cardenas, 21, is batting .284/.343/.475 with 19 doubles, six triples, 10 home runs and 54 RBI in 84 games this season with Class-A Lake County in the Midwest League.
Arroyo, 24, is currently on the 60-day injured list with right forearm tendinitis. He was acquired by the Rays in December 2017 and appeared in 36 games over parts of two seasons. Fans remember Arroyo being the key piece in the Evan Longoria trade back in December 2017 from the Giants. He’s hit just .215 with six home runs and 27 RBI since the trade.
Wood, 25, is maybe the surprise trade. With the Rays needing relief help desperately sending arguably their most reliable arm is a bit of a head scratcher. The righty went 1-1 with a 2.48 ERA in 29 IP. Over 49 appearances with the Rays, he 2-2 with a 3.20 ERA in 70.1 innings since being drafted by the Rays in June 2013.
RHP Ian Gibaut has been traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations or a player to be named. Gibaut, 25, was with the Rays from July 6-12 and made his major league debut on July 12 against the Baltimore Orioles. He was designated for assignment by the Rays on July 23. Over parts of five seasons in the minors, he is 17-8 with a 2.29 ERA (216-IP, 55-ER) and 35 saves in 155 appearances.
- UFC 251 FIght Island recap: Winners, losers, and are there new champs? July 13, 2020
- Tampa Bay’s post covid training camp roster released July 12, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 7/6/20 Fyter Fest, Great American Bash night two July 12, 2020
- NHL confirms its hub cities for return to play July 10, 2020
- UFC 251 “Fight Island”: A bit of Mortal Kombat nostalgia in the air July 7, 2020
- Butherus: Baseball should be prepared for COVID-19’s worst-case scenario July 6, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 6/29/30 Fyter Fest and Great American Bash July 5, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 6/21/20 NXT double champion match booked June 28, 2020
- Coronavirus hits the Tampa Bay Buccaneers June 26, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 6/15/20 #SpeakingOut June 21, 2020