Mis-play in the sixth by Mallex part of an ugly inning that does in Rays.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL – Chris Archer dominated through seven innings but miscues in the field and on the bases did in the Rays as they dropped Saturday night’s ballgame 4-3 to the Rangers.
With Archer dealing through three, the offense would chip in. Tim Beckham led off with a one-out walk. Steven Souza followed by driving home Beckham for his 61st RBI of the season and a 1-0 Rays lead off Andrew Cashner. Evan Longoria would keep it going with a two-RBI single with two away in the inning making it a quick 3-0 ballgame.
Elvis Andrus would destroy a baseball into the deep seats in left field in the fourth to answer back for the Rangers. Texas bats wouldn’t get anymore than that and the Rays held a two-run lead through three and a half.
Where it all went wrong.
With a 3-1 lead in the top of the sixth, it all unraveled for the Rays.
Two outs and two in scoring position, the Rangers would tie things up when Mallex Smith completely botched an inning-ending fly ball to straight away center field. Two wild pitches later and Adrian Beltre would score the go-ahead run putting Texas on top 4-3.
Archer passes Price.
When asked where this loss ranks, the Rays ace was straight forward as always.
“It’s up there,” Archer said. “The beautiful thing about baseball is we have tomorrow. Somebody can step up tomorrow and help us stomach the series a little bit better than how we are right now.”
The Los Angeles Dodgers DFA-ed RHP Sergio Romo on Thursday. Following Saturday night’s game it was announced the Rays have acquired Romo for cash considerations.
Romo, 34, is a three-time World Champion while with the San Francisco Giants. He was honored by MLB in 2012 as “Setup Man of the Year” and was a National League All-Star in 2013.
With the Dodgers this year, he’s struggled. In 30 games he was 1-1 with a 6.12 ERA in 25 innings and 31 strikeouts.
Before this year, however, his career ERA is an impressive 2.58.
- Winston struggles as the Buccaneers fall to the Panthers October 13, 2019
- Week 6 Game Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. the Carolina Panthers October 13, 2019
- Former Lightning forward shines, Bolts lackluster in defeat against Ottawa October 12, 2019
- The Week In Wrestling (10/10/19) WWE Draft and AEW Upsets October 12, 2019
- First line feast: Lightning’s top unit goes off in win over Leafs October 10, 2019
- Houston, we have a game 5 October 9, 2019
- Rays’ offense erupts, keeps series alive against Astros October 7, 2019
- Fantasy Football Fallout: Mike Evans’ Catch Streak Ends at 64 October 7, 2019
- Hell in a Cell Results – WWE Event (10/6/19) October 6, 2019
- McElhinney nearly steals a win by himself as Bolts fall in OT October 6, 2019