Blake Snell becomes the second pitcher in team history to win the prestigious award since David Price in 2012.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL – It wasn’t a complete surprise. When a pitcher dominates not just his league but every one of the playoff teams in his respective league, leads his league in wins and ERA, chances are he’s got a stellar shot at taking home a trophy in mid-November.
Tonight that nearly foregone conclusion became a reality.
Snell took him his first Cy Young award beating out Astros Justin Verlander and Indians Corey Kluber. Snell, in just his third full season at the MLB level, led the American League in wins (21) and ERA (1.89). He and Price are the only two pitchers to win the award in the AL East in 15 years.
Snell went 21-5 overall pitching in 31 starts in 2018.
At 25 years old, Snell is the youngest 21-game winner since Clayton Kershaw in 2011 and the AL’s youngest since Barry Zito back in 2002. In the “live ball” era (since 1920), only three other pitchers have matched Snell’s combination of wins and ERA at 25 years or younger.
Dominating the “big boys”
Of his 31 starts, 12 came against the AL post-season teams. In those starts, he went 9-2 with a 2.00 ERA.
Against former Cy Young winners he was a perfect 3-0 with a 0.59 ERA.
Tropicana Field became an even more dangerous place to play when Snell was on the hill. In 14 home starts, Snell went 10-1 with a microscopic 1.27 ERA – the lowest home ERA in the AL since 1972.
Snell made his first All Star game in 2018 and was named AL Pitcher of the Month in August and September.
Over parts of three seasons in MLB, Snell is 32-20 with a 2.95 ERA in 74 games.
- Tampa Bay signs Jason Licht to new 5-year deal August 17, 2019
- Tampa Bay edges Miami in rainy preseason affair August 17, 2019
- The Week In Wrestling (8/16/19) WWE landscape has changed August 16, 2019
- Is Nate Diaz Overrated? August 15, 2019
- Rays explode late, continue west coast win streak August 13, 2019
- Buccaneers vs. Dolphins: Looking ahead to preseason Week 2 August 12, 2019
- Summerslam/NXT ’19 Chaos and smart booking reigns August 12, 2019
- Buccaneers’ Preseason Recap: Who stood out and who didn’t August 11, 2019
- Buccaneers fall 30-28 to Steelers in preseason action August 9, 2019
- The Week In Wrestling (8/9/19): Summer Slam questions August 9, 2019