The impact of Hurricane Harvey will likely force the Astros to play six home games at Tropicana Field?
The Houston Astros have a six-game home stand scheduled to kick-off on Tuesday. Hurricane Harvey has made it impossible for the city of Houston to play host to these games.
Several options have been discussed but it appears that the best course of action is for the Houston Astros to travel to St Petersburg, FL and play six games at Tropicana Field. The Tampa Bay Rays are in Kansas City and Chicago during the same six game stretch so the logistics work from an availability standpoint.
While baseball is truly secondary at this point, the Astros will now embark on a stretch of 19-straight games away from Minute Maid Park.
“At this point our focus is on the safety of our fans, our players and their families and our front office staff and their families,” said in a statement by Astros President of Baseball Operations Reid Ryan. “As we continue to monitor the conditions, we have been in communication with Major League Baseball and the Texas Rangers and will provide an update on Monday.”
Originally reported by Jon Morosi, it is not “official” as of yet. It appears likely that this will be the decision – the Astros will host the Rangers and Mets at Tropicana Field.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) August 28, 2017
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) August 28, 2017
MLB Appreciates Tropicana Field
This is the second time that Tropicana Field has bailed Major League Baseball out of a tough situation. In 2015, the Baltimore Orioles played a “home-game” at Tropicana Field against the Rays. Riots and protests prevented Camden Yards from host duties. It also made for an interestingly “quiet game” when the Orioles and White Sox played in silence.
- Lightning Smack Down Upstart Hurricanes February 24, 2021
- Drought ends as Lightning outlast Canes in Raleigh February 23, 2021
- Lethargic Lightning shutout again by Hurricanes February 20, 2021
- Second period burst pushes Panthers past Bolts at Amalie February 15, 2021
- Tremendous effort and explosive second period propels Bolts past Florida February 13, 2021
- Point’s two goals not enough as Bolts’ winning streak halted in Sunrise February 11, 2021
- Bolts dominate Predators for 6th straight win February 9, 2021
- Nashville push not enough as Bolts top Preds in Music City February 8, 2021
- Make it two, as Tampa Bay wins Super Bowl LV February 7, 2021
- Goodrow shines in Lightning victory over Red Wings February 5, 2021