After winning his first Vezina Trophy, the Tampa Bay Lightning have extended their number one goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy for eight more seasons.
TAMPA BAY – With one year remaining on his last contract, Andrei Vasilevsky will head into the 2019-2020 season with one big monkey off his back. Vasilevskiy followed in the footsteps of Nikita Kucherov, Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman by locking up a long term extension to stay with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
While all eyes this off-season have been fixed upon when restricted free agent Brayden Point will sign his new deal, Lightning general manager Julian BriseBois locked up his franchise goalie a year early.
Some will say the AAV (average annual value) was a bit high for a goalie. However, it’s not the highest. Sergei Bobrovsky signed with the Florida Panthers this off-season, netting $10 million AAV, while Montreal Canadians netminder Carey Price clocks in with the highest at $10.5 million a year.
One could argue Vasilevskiy’s $9.5 AAV is a high, but when you consider is production and the fact he just one what could be the first of a few Vezina trophies, $9.5 AAV isn’t bad. Especially when you consider the Lightning have kept their core group together on mostly very team friendly deals.
With their core locked up mostly for the next few years one could say some moves may be made either this season or next off-season to free up more space. One thing is for sure, Vasilevskiy is relieved that he didn’t have to enter the season with the last year of his contract weighing on him.
Check below for the media availability with Vasilevskiy.
- Butherus: Who are these f’in guys? February 28, 2020
- Kubalik and Blackhawks sink Bolts for 4th straight loss February 27, 2020
- Special teams struggle as Lightning fall to Maple Leafs February 26, 2020
- Lightning add Bogosian to depleted blue line on eve of trade deadline February 23, 2020
- Abysmal defense leads to ugly Lightning defeat in Arizona. February 23, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 2/17/20 TakeOver aftermath and AEW cage match February 22, 2020
- Vipers lose a thriller, fall to 0-3 February 22, 2020
- Vipers finally at home, looking for first win February 22, 2020
- Butherus: What is cheating? February 21, 2020
- Fresh faces featured in Bolts streak-snapping loss to Knights February 21, 2020