After landing LSU linebacker Devin White with the No. 5 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers continued its rebuild on the defensive side of the football and drafted cornerback Sean Bunting out of the University of Central Michigan with the No. 39 pick Friday night. Bunting becomes the first player out of Central Michigan to ever be drafted by Tampa Bay.
The Buccaneers have focused their needs to the defensive side of the ball after finishing the 2018 season near the bottom of the NFL in many categories. Tampa Bay has wasted no acknowledging that it will primarily focus on the defense before addressing any concerns on the offensive end of the ball.
Losing linebacker Kwon Alexander to the San Francisco 49ers over the off-season was a blow, but in Todd Bowles’ new defensive scheme, the Buccaneers are expected to play more 3-4 looks, with a mixture of 4-3 being implemented game to game.
The selection of Bunting comes as a surprise to many with former LSU cornerback Greedy Williams still available on the board. Williams was a teammate of White’s when they played at LSU. Tampa Bay head coach Bruce Arians’ said to media members prior to the draft they would select best available on the board over team needs. Many may argue that this wasn’t the case with selecting Bunting over Williams and several other highly talented players still available.
The 6-foot, 195-pound cornerback from Central Michigan racked up nine interceptions during his three seasons with the Chippewas, who went 1-11 last season in the MAC.
- Lightning Smack Down Upstart Hurricanes February 24, 2021
- Drought ends as Lightning outlast Canes in Raleigh February 23, 2021
- Lethargic Lightning shutout again by Hurricanes February 20, 2021
- Second period burst pushes Panthers past Bolts at Amalie February 15, 2021
- Tremendous effort and explosive second period propels Bolts past Florida February 13, 2021
- Point’s two goals not enough as Bolts’ winning streak halted in Sunrise February 11, 2021
- Bolts dominate Predators for 6th straight win February 9, 2021
- Nashville push not enough as Bolts top Preds in Music City February 8, 2021
- Make it two, as Tampa Bay wins Super Bowl LV February 7, 2021
- Goodrow shines in Lightning victory over Red Wings February 5, 2021