After landing LSU linebacker Devin White with the No. 5 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers continued its rebuild on the defensive side of the football and drafted cornerback Sean Bunting out of the University of Central Michigan with the No. 39 pick Friday night. Bunting becomes the first player out of Central Michigan to ever be drafted by Tampa Bay.
The Buccaneers have focused their needs to the defensive side of the ball after finishing the 2018 season near the bottom of the NFL in many categories. Tampa Bay has wasted no acknowledging that it will primarily focus on the defense before addressing any concerns on the offensive end of the ball.
Losing linebacker Kwon Alexander to the San Francisco 49ers over the off-season was a blow, but in Todd Bowles’ new defensive scheme, the Buccaneers are expected to play more 3-4 looks, with a mixture of 4-3 being implemented game to game.
The selection of Bunting comes as a surprise to many with former LSU cornerback Greedy Williams still available on the board. Williams was a teammate of White’s when they played at LSU. Tampa Bay head coach Bruce Arians’ said to media members prior to the draft they would select best available on the board over team needs. Many may argue that this wasn’t the case with selecting Bunting over Williams and several other highly talented players still available.
The 6-foot, 195-pound cornerback from Central Michigan racked up nine interceptions during his three seasons with the Chippewas, who went 1-11 last season in the MAC.
- Not So Money Predictions and A Tribute to One of the Greats May 24, 2019
- More surprise returns after MITB May 21, 2019
- Rays lose to Dodgers 7-3 in series opener May 21, 2019
- Buccaneers sign veteran DT Ndamukong Suh May 21, 2019
- MITB fallout includes new feuds and a new WWE title May 21, 2019
- Buccaneers inform Gerald McCoy of releasing him after 9 seasons with team May 20, 2019
- Controversial return, titles change hands May 20, 2019
- It’s Time to Climb a Ladder and Predict What’s in the Briefcase May 17, 2019
- Rays address catching needs, acquire Kratz from Giants May 16, 2019
- Last show before WWE’s MITB May 14, 2019