Coming off last week’s 30-28 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the team’s preseason opener, Tampa Bay looked to bounce back at home after a week with practices and scrimmages versus the visiting Miami Dolphins.
Tampa Bay was able to get everything they needed to see, especially out of its kicking game en route to a 16-14 victory over Miami Friday night at Raymond James Stadium. The preseason win marks the first under first-year head coach Bruce Arians, who saw some things he liked out of the starters.
Arians wasn’t playing around when it came to the starting offense for the Buccaneers, as the 66-year old had a quick hook on Jameis Winston and the starters. Winston would only attempt four passes in the game and complete two of them for 24 yards and rushed for five yards on a scramble.
Other than that, it was all Arians needed or wanted to see out of the starting offense as they gave way to Blaine Gabbert and the backups. Gabbert ended the evening completing just 5-of-12 passes for 42 yards. Third-string quarterback Ryan Griffin put on a nice showing for the home crowd and ended the night going 14-of-21 passing for 201 yards and throwing a touchdown in the second half.
Leading the way for the Buccaneers in the receiving department was tight end Tanner Hudson, who hauled in six passes for 93 yards. Running back Dare Ogunbowale was another standout for the Buccaneers and the backup rushed for 34 yards.
Tampa Bay’s defensive unit applied plenty of pressure to Miami’s quarterbacks, as the Buccaneers were able to rack up five sacks total. Impressing the coaching staff the most was rookie kicker Matt Gay, who connected on both of his field goal attempts and his line extra point attempt.
Miami started second-year quarterback Josh Rosen and brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick in relief. Rosen finished the night completing 10-of-18 passes for 102 yards. The Buccaneers will be at home once again next Friday for their third preseason game against the Cleveland Browns. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m.
- Mikhail Sergachev Locked Up For Next Three Seasons by Lightning November 25, 2020
- Brady turnovers doom Bucs in loss to Rams November 24, 2020
- Game preview-Rams at Buccaneers November 20, 2020
- A Sigh of Relief as Bucs Rebound in a big way Against Carolina November 15, 2020
- Saints throttle Buccaneers on primetime November 8, 2020
- Big Games are Back in Tampa Bay! Preview of Bucs and Saints November 6, 2020
- A Nightmare Start Nearly Derails the Bucs as They Leave a lot to be Desired November 3, 2020
- MNF Game Preview: Buccaneers at Giants October 30, 2020
- Rays lose a heartbreaker, World Series hopes slip away in Game 6 October 28, 2020
- Brady lights up the Raiders in a blow-out 45-20 win in Las Vegas. October 25, 2020