Coming off last week’s 30-28 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the team’s preseason opener, Tampa Bay looked to bounce back at home after a week with practices and scrimmages versus the visiting Miami Dolphins.
Tampa Bay was able to get everything they needed to see, especially out of its kicking game en route to a 16-14 victory over Miami Friday night at Raymond James Stadium. The preseason win marks the first under first-year head coach Bruce Arians, who saw some things he liked out of the starters.
Arians wasn’t playing around when it came to the starting offense for the Buccaneers, as the 66-year old had a quick hook on Jameis Winston and the starters. Winston would only attempt four passes in the game and complete two of them for 24 yards and rushed for five yards on a scramble.
Other than that, it was all Arians needed or wanted to see out of the starting offense as they gave way to Blaine Gabbert and the backups. Gabbert ended the evening completing just 5-of-12 passes for 42 yards. Third-string quarterback Ryan Griffin put on a nice showing for the home crowd and ended the night going 14-of-21 passing for 201 yards and throwing a touchdown in the second half.
Leading the way for the Buccaneers in the receiving department was tight end Tanner Hudson, who hauled in six passes for 93 yards. Running back Dare Ogunbowale was another standout for the Buccaneers and the backup rushed for 34 yards.
Tampa Bay’s defensive unit applied plenty of pressure to Miami’s quarterbacks, as the Buccaneers were able to rack up five sacks total. Impressing the coaching staff the most was rookie kicker Matt Gay, who connected on both of his field goal attempts and his line extra point attempt.
Miami started second-year quarterback Josh Rosen and brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick in relief. Rosen finished the night completing 10-of-18 passes for 102 yards. The Buccaneers will be at home once again next Friday for their third preseason game against the Cleveland Browns. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m.
- The Buccaneers and what they face in the New York Giants September 20, 2019
- The Week In Wrestling (9/19/19) Post Clash Of Champions September 20, 2019
- WWE: Clash Of Champions Results (9/15/19) September 18, 2019
- Penalties, defensive lapses lead to Lightning dropping preseason opener September 17, 2019
- The Teddy Bridgewater Butterfly Effect on Fantasy Football September 16, 2019
- Sammy Watkins Shows Out in Wild Week 1 September 13, 2019
- Gerald McCoy denied his revenge as Tampa holds off Carolina September 13, 2019
- The Week In Wrestling (9/12/19) Clash Of Champions build up September 12, 2019
- PPV Preview: Champions Will Clash This Sunday September 12, 2019
- Winston, offense looking for bounce back effort to avoid 0-2 start September 12, 2019