Jameis Winston to sign with New Orleans Saints on 1-year deal
After waiting out all throughout the free agency period and the NFL Draft, Jameis Winston has now found himself a new home and he didn’t have to go too far at all. The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ starting quarterback is finalizing a one-year deal to sign with the New Orleans Saints, per Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports on Sunday morning.
Robinson states in his tweet that Winston would be signing less than a lucrative contract, but the opportunity for Winston would be to learn behind future Hall of Fame quarterback Drew Brees awhile maximizing Taysom Hill as a all-around player on offense.
Winston would play much more of the role Teddy Bridgewater played the last two seasons as a primary backup. Bridgewater signed with the Carolina Panthers this off-season to be the team’s new starter after new head coach Matt Rhule decided to move on from Cam Newton.
Winston, was a former No. 1 pick who was drafted by Tampa Bay in 2015. Coming out of Florida State, Winston was dubbed as a can’t miss prospect out of Tallahassee and looked to become the first quarterback to sign a second contract with the franchise. The Buccaneers decided to go in another direction and signed 6-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady to a 2-year deal with close to $60-million.
Instead, Winston took his time methodically as a free agent but reportedly had interest from the Los Angeles Chargers, Washington Redskins and Chicago Bears early in the process. Winston threw for 33 touchdowns and just over 5,000 yards in 2019. Winston’s issues came in the turnover department, as he had 30 interceptions and became the charter member of the 30-touchdown, 30-interception club.
- MNF Game Preview: Buccaneers at Giants October 30, 2020
- Rays lose a heartbreaker, World Series hopes slip away in Game 6 October 28, 2020
- Brady lights up the Raiders in a blow-out 45-20 win in Las Vegas. October 25, 2020
- Rays win an absolute thriller, tie series at two October 25, 2020
- Game Preview: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Las Vegas Raiders October 25, 2020
- UFC 254: Khabib vs. Gaethje October 24, 2020
- Morton struggles as Rays drop Game 3 to Dodgers October 24, 2020
- Did Tampa Bay make the right choice by signing Antonio Brown? October 23, 2020
- Slump buster; Lowe breaks out and leads Rays to Game 2 victory October 22, 2020
- Rays go down swinging, lose game 1 of the World Series October 21, 2020