Jameis Winston to sign with New Orleans Saints on 1-year deal
After waiting out all throughout the free agency period and the NFL Draft, Jameis Winston has now found himself a new home and he didn’t have to go too far at all. The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ starting quarterback is finalizing a one-year deal to sign with the New Orleans Saints, per Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports on Sunday morning.
Robinson states in his tweet that Winston would be signing less than a lucrative contract, but the opportunity for Winston would be to learn behind future Hall of Fame quarterback Drew Brees awhile maximizing Taysom Hill as a all-around player on offense.
Winston would play much more of the role Teddy Bridgewater played the last two seasons as a primary backup. Bridgewater signed with the Carolina Panthers this off-season to be the team’s new starter after new head coach Matt Rhule decided to move on from Cam Newton.
Winston, was a former No. 1 pick who was drafted by Tampa Bay in 2015. Coming out of Florida State, Winston was dubbed as a can’t miss prospect out of Tallahassee and looked to become the first quarterback to sign a second contract with the franchise. The Buccaneers decided to go in another direction and signed 6-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady to a 2-year deal with close to $60-million.
Instead, Winston took his time methodically as a free agent but reportedly had interest from the Los Angeles Chargers, Washington Redskins and Chicago Bears early in the process. Winston threw for 33 touchdowns and just over 5,000 yards in 2019. Winston’s issues came in the turnover department, as he had 30 interceptions and became the charter member of the 30-touchdown, 30-interception club.
- Tyler Johnson comes up clutch again as Bolts down B’s. August 5, 2020
- Rays’ struggles magnified by sweep at the hands of Baltimore August 4, 2020
- In a mixed bag, Lightning pull away in the shootout. August 3, 2020
- Behind the barricades: Rusev Day is done new Raw champion August 1, 2020
- LeSean McCoy joins Tampa Bay’s backfield July 31, 2020
- 139 Days later, The Lightning are BACK July 29, 2020
- Behind the Barricade: Extreme Rules was a “Horror Show”, Major NXT Announcement, Slow Burning Stories July 25, 2020
- No NFL preseason games in 2020 July 22, 2020
- Sister Abigail is teased in trippy main event at Extreme Rules July 20, 2020
- Behind The Barricade: WWE Superstar out indefinitely, another comes out July 19, 2020