Jameis Winston to sign with New Orleans Saints on 1-year deal
After waiting out all throughout the free agency period and the NFL Draft, Jameis Winston has now found himself a new home and he didn’t have to go too far at all. The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ starting quarterback is finalizing a one-year deal to sign with the New Orleans Saints, per Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports on Sunday morning.
Robinson states in his tweet that Winston would be signing less than a lucrative contract, but the opportunity for Winston would be to learn behind future Hall of Fame quarterback Drew Brees awhile maximizing Taysom Hill as a all-around player on offense.
Winston would play much more of the role Teddy Bridgewater played the last two seasons as a primary backup. Bridgewater signed with the Carolina Panthers this off-season to be the team’s new starter after new head coach Matt Rhule decided to move on from Cam Newton.
Winston, was a former No. 1 pick who was drafted by Tampa Bay in 2015. Coming out of Florida State, Winston was dubbed as a can’t miss prospect out of Tallahassee and looked to become the first quarterback to sign a second contract with the franchise. The Buccaneers decided to go in another direction and signed 6-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady to a 2-year deal with close to $60-million.
Instead, Winston took his time methodically as a free agent but reportedly had interest from the Los Angeles Chargers, Washington Redskins and Chicago Bears early in the process. Winston threw for 33 touchdowns and just over 5,000 yards in 2019. Winston’s issues came in the turnover department, as he had 30 interceptions and became the charter member of the 30-touchdown, 30-interception club.
- Without Kucherov, Lightning lay another egg on home ice October 19, 2021
- Penalty kill perfection leads to overtime heroics for Lightning in DC October 16, 2021
- Lightning rebound with a frantic comeback victory over Detroit October 15, 2021
- Lightning come out Flat and Fall to Pittsburgh on Banner Night October 13, 2021
- 2021-22 Lightning Season Preview October 12, 2021
- Preseason struggles continue as Bolts drop another to Preds October 3, 2021
- The New Lightning Players July 31, 2021
- Tampa Bay Locks up Point with big 8 Year Extension July 28, 2021
- Expansion draft predictions: Who we think the Kraken select July 20, 2021
- Protect the house: Stamkos, Vasilevskiy highlight Lightning untouchables July 18, 2021