The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have agreed to terms on a new contract for defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the deal is for 1 year, $8 million. The signing completes the trifecta for the Bucs, who have already inked new deals with Jason Pierre-Paul and single season sack leader Shaquil Barrett.
Suh still chasing ultimate goal
Before his arrival in Tampa Bay, Suh was a member of the Los Angeles Rams NFC Championship team in 2019. The Rams fell 10 points short of a Lombardi Trophy in a defensive struggle with the New England Patriots. Suh joined the Buccaneers as a replacement for the outgoing Gerald McCoy. Ironically, Suh and McCoy were picked consecutively with the 2nd and 3rd overall picks in the 2010 NFL Draft.
After speninding his first 5 years with the Detroit Lions, Suh landed in Miami with the Dolphins for 3 years before heading to Los Angeles. The 10 year veteran has yet to secure a Super Bowl championship, but resigning with Tampa Bay for the 2020 season just may give him his best opportunity. Last week, the Bucs signed 6 time Super Bowl champion quarterback Tom Brady to lead an already lethal offense. Combined with keeping Todd Bowles up and coming defense mostly in tact, Tampa Bay is expected to be in battle with the New Orleans Saints for the NFC South championship.
A career snapshot
Suh was largely brought in to add intensity, leadership, and fire to the Buccaneers defense. While his 2019 statistics did not set the world ablaze, the respect and attention he commands opened opportunities for Pierre-Paul, Barrett and others.
In his career, Suh has 58.5 sacks. He also has 4 forced fumbles and an interception on his resume. His most productive sack year came in his rookie campaign of 2010. That season, he logged 10 of them, along with his only career interception. Suh has been fined 8 times and suspended once for league safety violations.
- Week in pro wrestling 03/23/20 Pro wrestling’s new norm March 28, 2020
- A series against Toronto should equal first round redemption for the Bolts March 25, 2020
- Hes’ back! Bucs sign Ndamukong Suh to new deal March 25, 2020
- Potential playoff preview: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Florida Panthers March 24, 2020
- Vinik to victories: A decade of Tampa Bay’s best moments March 24, 2020
- Butherus: Where is now if why? March 22, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 3/16/20 Pandemic affects the wrestling world March 22, 2020
- Done deal! Tom Brady is a Tampa Bay Buccaneer March 20, 2020
- To Stanley or not to Stanley: Will the Bolts skate in the playoffs? March 17, 2020
- Jason Pierre-Paul staying in Tampa Bay March 16, 2020