When the Tampa Bay Buccaneers kickoff the 2019 season, they will be without one of Jameis Winston’s favorite and most reliable targets at wide receiver.
On Tuesday, the Tennessee Titans agreed to terms with free agent wide receiver Adam Humphries on a 4-year, $36-million deal. Humphries has spent the last four seasons in Tampa Bay where he emerged as a reliable, sure handed slot threat for the Buccaneers who could occasionally be counted on as a deep threat. In 2018, Humphries finished the season behind only Mike Evans for most receptions on the team with 76 and third on the team in receiving yards 816.
Tampa Bay opted to let Humphries test the free agency market and the Titans came calling right away. Tennessee general manager Jon Robinson was in the Bucs’ front office in 2015 and had a first hand relationship with Humphries, as well as an up close look at what he brings to the team. Tennessee appears to be a great fit and even better opportunity for Humphries to emerge as a big name, Julian Edelman-type slot receiver. With a healthy Marcus Mariota, the Titans could give defenses fits in their short passing game having Humphries on the field.
Humphries also served as the Bucs’ primary punt returner for much of his stint in Tampa. Still, with the team’s current salary cap struggles, it makes sense that they would prioritize other positions going into free agency, especially with Humphries due a much more lucrative deal this time around. As reliable as fan-favorite Humphries was for the team, his body of work suggests that the Bucs could find a suitable replacement through the draft or a free agency pickup of their own.
- What went wrong: examining the Lightning’s massive letdown April 18, 2019
- Rays crush three homers, beat Orioles 8-1 April 17, 2019
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers to start 2019 versus San Francisco April 17, 2019
- The shock-waves of the shake-up continue April 17, 2019
- Garcia powers Rays to 4-2 victory April 16, 2019
- Sixty-two win bolts can’t buy one in devastating early dance-exit April 16, 2019
- Superstar Shake-up sends shock-waves through RAW roster April 15, 2019
- Meadows garners first Player of the Week honors for red-hot Rays April 15, 2019
- Lightning on the brink of a sweep following Game 3 loss April 14, 2019
- UFC 236 Holloway vs Poirier 2 April 13, 2019