A day after Bruce Arians was named the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the team officially has nabbed its next defensive coordinator.
Former New York Jets coach Todd Bowles agreed to a deal on Wednesday to become Tampa Bay’s defensive coordinator under Arians. Bowles worked under Arians from 2013-2014 before taking over the Jets as a head coach. Bowles was relieved of his duties in New York after the 2018 season concluded.
“He thought hard about it,” Arians said on the Rich Eisen Show recorded on Wednesday. “I was doing my best sell job and this happened. We’re really excited to be back together.”
Bowles spent the last four seasons in New York and after a promising start with the Jets in 2015, the team suffered three straight losing campaigns which led to his dismissal. Despite not working out in New York, Bowles still remained a hot commodity in the NFL coaching world as a defensive coordinator.
The Denver Broncos named former Chicago Bears’ defensive coordinator Vic Fangio as the team’s next head coach and it left the Bears looking for a new defensive coordinator, with reports swirling that Bowles possibly being a candidate. All rumors were put to rest when the language in Bowles’ contract with the Jets was worked out and he officially reached a deal to join Tampa Bay.
Amongst others that will be joining Bowles as an assistant in Tampa Bay is Harold Goodwin, who will be the run-game coordinator. Bryon Leftwich joins as the offensive coordinator, in which Arians has stated that Leftwich will also handle the playcalling duties.
Leftwich has playcalling experience from his time as the interim offensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals last season after the firing of Mike McCoy. Another new hire made by Arians is that of former Atlanta Falcons special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong joining Tampa Bay in the same capacity.
A familiar face coming back to Tampa Bay is Clyde Christiansen as the quarterbacks coach. Christiansen served a stint in Tampa Bay back from 1996-2001, as he served as the tight ends coach from 1996-1998, quarterbacks coach from 1999-2000 and offensive coordinator in 2001.
- Big title wins at Elimination Chamber February 18, 2019
- Vasy passes Bish after second straight shutout February 16, 2019
- Elimination Chamber Preview Report February 15, 2019
- Lightning pile on the goals in Valentine’s Day massacre of Stars February 14, 2019
- Pitchers and catchers officially kick off spring training in Port Charlotte February 13, 2019
- An Elimination Chamber replacement and a gauntlet match to perfection. February 13, 2019
- Potential Cup Final match-up once again goes Lightning’s way February 12, 2019
- Youth and post-season were key topics at today’s spring press conference February 12, 2019
- The Queen and Top Guys shine on sensational Raw broadcast. February 11, 2019
- Domingue sets franchise record with tenth straight victory February 10, 2019