A day after Bruce Arians was named the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the team officially has nabbed its next defensive coordinator.
Former New York Jets coach Todd Bowles agreed to a deal on Wednesday to become Tampa Bay’s defensive coordinator under Arians. Bowles worked under Arians from 2013-2014 before taking over the Jets as a head coach. Bowles was relieved of his duties in New York after the 2018 season concluded.
“He thought hard about it,” Arians said on the Rich Eisen Show recorded on Wednesday. “I was doing my best sell job and this happened. We’re really excited to be back together.”
Bowles spent the last four seasons in New York and after a promising start with the Jets in 2015, the team suffered three straight losing campaigns which led to his dismissal. Despite not working out in New York, Bowles still remained a hot commodity in the NFL coaching world as a defensive coordinator.
The Denver Broncos named former Chicago Bears’ defensive coordinator Vic Fangio as the team’s next head coach and it left the Bears looking for a new defensive coordinator, with reports swirling that Bowles possibly being a candidate. All rumors were put to rest when the language in Bowles’ contract with the Jets was worked out and he officially reached a deal to join Tampa Bay.
Amongst others that will be joining Bowles as an assistant in Tampa Bay is Harold Goodwin, who will be the run-game coordinator. Bryon Leftwich joins as the offensive coordinator, in which Arians has stated that Leftwich will also handle the playcalling duties.
Leftwich has playcalling experience from his time as the interim offensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals last season after the firing of Mike McCoy. Another new hire made by Arians is that of former Atlanta Falcons special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong joining Tampa Bay in the same capacity.
A familiar face coming back to Tampa Bay is Clyde Christiansen as the quarterbacks coach. Christiansen served a stint in Tampa Bay back from 1996-2001, as he served as the tight ends coach from 1996-1998, quarterbacks coach from 1999-2000 and offensive coordinator in 2001.
- Bolts get a Western Conference win, beat Sharks at Amalie January 19, 2019
- Five Keys: Offense January 19, 2019
- Major Changes To The Royal Rumble Card January 18, 2019
- Back-and-forth game goes Maple Leafs way January 17, 2019
- Vasilevskiy’s efforts dim Stars, lift Lightning to victory January 16, 2019
- An epic lucha showdown on Smackdown Live January 15, 2019
- Randle El, Grimm added to Bucs coaching staff January 15, 2019
- The Extraordinary and the Almighty prevail on action-packed night January 14, 2019
- Rays sign Avisail Garcia to one-year deal January 14, 2019
- Crashing the Net: Grinding out wins will be continued key for Bolts before all star break January 14, 2019