Defense leads the way in Bucs win over Packers
In the highly touted matchup between two of the National Football League’s most decorated passers of all time, everyone was fixated on who would come up with the standout performance. That actually didn’t come from either Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, it ended up being Tampa Bay’s defense stealing the spotlight.
Tampa Bay forced Rodgers’ first two interceptions of the season, as the Buccaneers’ defense came up huge in a domination 38-10 victory over Green Bay (4-1) Sunday afternoon at Raymond James Stadium. With the victory, the Buccaneers improve to 4-2 on the season and next Sunday will face the Las Vegas Raiders at the new Allegiant Stadium on Sunday night football.
Many around the league wondered if Tampa Bay could bounce back from its embarrassing 20-19 loss to the Chicago Bears, in which the Buccaneers were marred by a number of penalties and missed opportunities on offense. This time around, however, the Buccaneers ended up committing no penalties, no turnovers and no sacks given up. Only the second time that has happened since 1972, which the other time also included Bruce Arians. It was when the Indianapolis Colts beat the Cleveland Browns in 1999.
Brady didn’t have to be great, as the defense leads all units in the NFL against stopping the run and they flustered Rodgers early. After Green Bay jumped out to an early 10-0 lead, Jamel Dean picked off Rodgers and returned it 32 yards for a touchdown. The turnover ended up being what the doctor ordered for Tampa Bay and that’s when the game spiraled out of control for Green Bay.
On Green Bay’s next possession, safety Mike Edwards picked off Rodgers off a deflected pass and the Buccaneers followed it up with a touchdown run from Ronald Jones. Jones had another strong game in the backfield for Tampa Bay (4-2), rushing for 113 yards on 23 carries and scored twice. Brady finished with 166 yards on 17-of-27 passing and two touchdown passes.
- Mikhail Sergachev Locked Up For Next Three Seasons by Lightning November 25, 2020
- Brady turnovers doom Bucs in loss to Rams November 24, 2020
- Game preview-Rams at Buccaneers November 20, 2020
- A Sigh of Relief as Bucs Rebound in a big way Against Carolina November 15, 2020
- Saints throttle Buccaneers on primetime November 8, 2020
- Big Games are Back in Tampa Bay! Preview of Bucs and Saints November 6, 2020
- A Nightmare Start Nearly Derails the Bucs as They Leave a lot to be Desired November 3, 2020
- MNF Game Preview: Buccaneers at Giants October 30, 2020
- Rays lose a heartbreaker, World Series hopes slip away in Game 6 October 28, 2020
- Brady lights up the Raiders in a blow-out 45-20 win in Las Vegas. October 25, 2020