Early on Monday morning, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers applied the 2020 franchise tag to Shaquil Barrett.
Tampa Bay signed Barrett to a 1 year, $4 million deal in 2019. All Barrett did in his first year in Tampa Bay is set the franchise single season sack record with 19.5, besting Warren Sapp’s 16.5 sack season in 2000. Head coach Bruce Arians has made it clear that keeping last year’s defense in tact is a priority. Applying the franchise tag to Barrett gives the Bucs more flexibility with other key UFA’s like Ndamukong Suh and Jason Pierre-Paul.
The outside linebacker franchise tag will pay Barrett $15.8 million in 2020. Barrett enters his 7th NFL season in 2020, which will be his 2nd with Tampa Bay. Through his first 6 years, Barrett has recorded 33.5 sacks, 13 forced fumbles, and 1 interception.
- UFC 250 June 4, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 5/25/20 WWE crowds and AEW debuts May 31, 2020
- ‘Dock Talk’ with Killer has hockey community taking notice May 27, 2020
- NHL unveils document detaling protocols for Phase 2 of possible return May 25, 2020
- Brady, Arians an offensive match made in heaven? May 25, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 5/18/20 The road to Double or Nothing May 24, 2020
- Butherus: Go out and get that paper, Snell. And not a virus. May 18, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 5/11/20 Big announcements May 17, 2020
- WWE: Money In The Bank 2020 Results May 10, 2020
- Week pro wrestling 5/4/20 AEW is live again, big debuts May 9, 2020