Early on Monday morning, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers applied the 2020 franchise tag to Shaquil Barrett.
Tampa Bay signed Barrett to a 1 year, $4 million deal in 2019. All Barrett did in his first year in Tampa Bay is set the franchise single season sack record with 19.5, besting Warren Sapp’s 16.5 sack season in 2000. Head coach Bruce Arians has made it clear that keeping last year’s defense in tact is a priority. Applying the franchise tag to Barrett gives the Bucs more flexibility with other key UFA’s like Ndamukong Suh and Jason Pierre-Paul.
The outside linebacker franchise tag will pay Barrett $15.8 million in 2020. Barrett enters his 7th NFL season in 2020, which will be his 2nd with Tampa Bay. Through his first 6 years, Barrett has recorded 33.5 sacks, 13 forced fumbles, and 1 interception.
- Week in pro wrestling 03/23/20 Pro wrestling’s new norm March 28, 2020
- A series against Toronto should equal first round redemption for the Bolts March 25, 2020
- Hes’ back! Bucs sign Ndamukong Suh to new deal March 25, 2020
- Potential playoff preview: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Florida Panthers March 24, 2020
- Vinik to victories: A decade of Tampa Bay’s best moments March 24, 2020
- Butherus: Where is now if why? March 22, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 3/16/20 Pandemic affects the wrestling world March 22, 2020
- Done deal! Tom Brady is a Tampa Bay Buccaneer March 20, 2020
- To Stanley or not to Stanley: Will the Bolts skate in the playoffs? March 17, 2020
- Jason Pierre-Paul staying in Tampa Bay March 16, 2020