TE Cameron Brate and CB Brent Grimes will both return in 2018 after signing contracts with the Bucs on Monday.
Sources: Bucs extend TE Cameron Brate, re-sign Brent Grimes https://t.co/1MZzaYfotj
— JennaLaineESPN (@JennaLaineESPN) March 12, 2018
Ahead of the official day of NFL free agency, which begins on Wednesday at 4 PM, Tampa Bay made sure to keep two key pieces in house. Brate, 26 and a graduate of Harvard, is locked in for another six years to the tune of $41M with $18M in guaranteed money. His 14 touchdown catches in the last two years are second among tight ends only to Jimmy Graham, also a free agent. Brate was undrafted four years ago.
Despite Tampa drafting O.J. Howard in the first round last year, Brate led all tight ends on the team with 48 catches for 591 yards.
Grimes, 34, returns for his third season in Tampa with a one-year contract worth $10M. In 2017 he battled a shoulder injury a year after leading the NFL in pass breakups. He still managed to start 13 games and has seven interceptions in two seasons with the Bucs.
Bucs have been busy
While they haven’t made any splash trades like other teams this off-season, Tampa has been busy. Friday, they locked up wide receiver, Mike Evans, to a five-year, $82.5M deal and brought back veteran QB Ryan Fitzpatrick for a second year.
Back on February 20th, the Bucs cut RB Doug Martin.
Per ESPN’s Jenna Laine, Tampa is also interested in bringing back cornerback Robert McClain.
- UFC 246 McGregor vs Cerrone January 18, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 1/13/20 Factions and a Bash January 18, 2020
- Cirelli shines, tallies first career hat trick in beat-down of the Jets January 18, 2020
- Lightning’s woes at Xcel Energy Center continue in loss to Wild January 16, 2020
- Vasilevskiy notches his 9th in a row with shootout win over Kings January 14, 2020
- NXT UK’s Top Stars Celebrate the One Year Anniversary of UK Branded TakeOver Events January 13, 2020
- Domingue dominates as Lightning win streak dies at ten January 12, 2020
- Week in pro wrestling 1/6/20: Questions and Answers January 12, 2020
- Rays send former first-round pick to Cardinals January 10, 2020
- Vasilevskiy earns first shutout of the season, Lightning win streak reaches 9 January 9, 2020